Pumpkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
Sorry if this ? Has already been asked what part of a pumpkin to I feed my sulcata tortoise and how much and how often. Oh! And do I get a hard one or a soft one he could chew on both he is a strong little one:)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
RE: Pumkin?

I give pumpkin once a week from October through January. I put it in a food processor...seeds and all...except for the stem...no stem. The contents of the seeds are a natural wormer for them...but they gotta penetrate the hull

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member

Anyone?

DeanS said:
I give pumpkin once a week from October through January. I put it in a food processor...seeds and all...except for the stem...no stem. The contents of the seeds are a natural wormer for them...but they gotta penetrate the hull

I will try to do that

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

DeanS, is it just the seeds? I had heard and read the pumpkin itself was a good dewormer. Never heard anything about the seeds. I just got a small pumpkin to give Tatum some and I cooked the seeds for us to eat:(

morloch

5 Year Member

What about squash,, butternut squash ? Would that be ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Any kind of edible squash is okay. For smaller tortoises I grate it with a cheese grater. For larger tortoises I just slam a whole pumpkin on the ground and let them have at it.

Camirdra

5 Year Member
WA
Awesome! Glad you asked this ? I needed the answer also :)

@ Tom - Never thought to just smash one for the big torts to eat on, made me think of Gallagher smashing watermelons with a hammer lol!
Good to know this is a good treat for them as my mother inlaw planted 6 pumpkin vines!!! Not sure she knew how many pumpkins that would produce but we are already swimming in them!

May have to find some fellow tort owners in the area to pawn a few off on as I am really burnt out on making pies...

Status
Not open for further replies.