Purchased a deformed sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
image.jpg
[attachment=45685
I found a horribly deformed sulcata this week at the pet store. It felt so horrible seein ghim there and they were asking 250ea for him and three red foots so i made a deal with the pet store owner that i would buy all four if he cut the price down to 175 for the red foots and i told him 125 for the sulcata.it was wrong to have them in a 30 galloon tank the sulcata couldnt even turn around and the red foot are all around 8 inchs and the sulcata 14 inchs so here is a pic of mcgyver the deformed sulcata

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, you are such a great person for rescueing that poor thing. I can't believe anyone would do that to an animal. You should turn the pet store into authorities for animal abuse and neglect, that is terrible what they have done to him. Even if they didn't do it, keeping him in the conditions you stated is still so wrong. Good for you.
Btw, hello and welcome:)

kjr153

5 Year Member
WOW!!! Do you think this could be some kind of genetic/birth deformity? Would poor husbandry really cause it to that extreme?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
What that pets store did is wrong! I'm glad that they are in a good home now. I don't care what people say, your deformed sulcata is beautiful.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Thanks for giving this guy a chance for a improved life.

Good luck.

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
When I saw you wrote deformed I thought would have just a bumpy shell then when I say the picture was shocked!! How does he cope with it? Does it make it hard to get around? Well done you for rescuing it x

clucey

5 Year Member
Goof for you. Sad to see the ignorance if humans. You are a tort blessing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It looks to me like a genetic deformity. But, the pet store didn't have to add to his misery by putting him in a small tank and around redfoots. Then, to sell him like that is just unethical for a business. Please keep us posted on his care and progress. Thank you for being so kind and loving.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Looks like something he was born with. MBD if got that bad would probably kill a tortoise before it made it. Glad he's in a better home. Any pics of the reds?

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I'm so glad MacGyver found a good home with you. Please do keep us posted on him with lots of pix. I find him extremely cute.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
And they were trying to sell him for $250..just awful.

Thanks for buying him. I, too would love to see more pics from different angles.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Poor guy. I wonder if he could have had a bad around him that kept getting tighter as he grew, so he sorta poofed up the top? Would love to see more pictures of him. Glad he is now with you.

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
image.jpg
He is awesome and we are very excited to add him to our little family. Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. It is a very odd deformity from every angle. He is deformed top, bottom, and all sides but it does not slow him down one bit. I have three sulcatas and he is most active of the three. Today, when I brought them home I gave all of them a good ten minute soak then a huge welcome home fruit party melon, strawberries, banana, and apples. All the torts and box turtles dug in while Macgyver sat back and watched, just taking it all in and when he decided it was his turn "look out" here i come he dove into the center. He loved it! All he had at the pe store was tortoise pellets. He was so suprised to see all the fruit he would finish a piece of banana before trying something else then he would try some grass then go right back to the fruit. He is very mobile, I have a big back yard and he explored every inch before he called it quits for the night right in the middle of all the box turtles. It was pretty funny seeing him lay there with all the box turtles. On the other hand my red foots are healthy you can tell they ate alot of dog food bc there is some pyramiding on them nothing extreme but you can tell. They are very social and explore. I have 2 males 1 female red foots, they are all about 8". I have total of
3 sulcatas 7"F 12"f and 15" Macgyver but I don't know if he can breed but if he could should I let him?
3 red foots all 8" 2M 1F
18 adult box 10M 8F and 3 babies
The box turtles have been giving me alot of babies this week ive found 3 clutchs, 12 eggs total this is my first attempt of incubating so I hope it works.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Makes me wonder if there is a tumor under there causing the odd growth. Very weird. Glad your giving him a good home, probably should have quarantined though. The

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using TortForum mobile app

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
So so grateful for you rescuing this baby. This absolutely broke my heart. I am so glad you are giving him a chance at a better life. I sure have grown to loathe pet stores.
He's very very handsome to me[HEAVY BLACK HEART]

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would not breed it. Also, I am a little concerned about all of this tortoises and turtles being housed together.

Status
Not open for further replies.