Purchased a deformed sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
he has been with several torts for his whole and there is nuthing wrong with them. im not to worried in my eyes its like a physical deformed human im not worried about catching anything from them so im not to worried about the others catching something from him.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
You did a wonderful thing by giving him a new home. I can only imagine how happy he is now. I wouldn't worry about breeding unless you think it is a genetic problem. You have a friend for life there. :D

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
He looks like the hunchback in the movie "300". This is a birth defect. I think he looks pretty cool, and I think he's going to do just fine. I'd treat him just like any other, and I wouldn't feel sorry for him at all.

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
image.jpgOk guys here are they close ups

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It may just be the pic. But it looks like there is a little pink coloring on the bottom of his feet, back legs. Like maybe he drags them a little. Just keep an eye on that. The problem with mixing species in the same enclosure has nothing to do with his deformity. Different species can be carriers of different diseases/pathogens, etc that doesn't make them sick, but could spread to a different species that has never been able to build immunities against it, because the would normally never come across it, except for the fact that a human exposed them to it. It could make them very sick or dead. It happens, members have seen it happen, so take warning. Different species should not live in the same enclosures.
Now, for this poor guy, sounds like he is very happy and so glad he does fine. If tortoises smiled, I be pt he would be gleaming from ear to ear about his new home, food and life.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Halo angel! I am so glad you bailed him outta there and so glad you are a member of this forum, which is so full of education from experienced keepers so that our tortoises can all thrive, not just survive or try to stay alive.

Welcome to you and your new babies. Have you named the redfoots yet? : )

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
image.jpg
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Halo angel! I am so glad you bailed him outta there and so glad you are a member of this forum, which is so full of education from experienced keepers so that our tortoises can all thrive, not just survive or try to stay alive.

Welcome to you and your new babies. Have you named them yet? : )

The big guy is macgyver
The female red foot is dora
And one of the male redfoots is wimpy
And the other sith

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Poor guys look like they all have pyramiding and mbd going on. I also saw online last night that diets high in protien can cause shell deformities and the pics were similiar only less severe. Sad to think he was probably indoors with no uv and probably fed dog food or something. Bet they are all happy to be out in the sun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
He is so interesting. Never seen one like it.

I like the advice to treat him normally. I'm sure he'll get along just fine :)

*I normally wouldn't keep different species together either. Really weigh your pros and cons to that.

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
Thanks every one for the help and the tips all take everything into mind

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I almost makes me think that he was raised trapped in a rigid box with only a hole for the head and the tail. Thus forcing all the growth to be constricted upward.

But, no one could be that cruel.

Oh wait, didn't they do that with girls feet to make sure they stayed small. :(

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Jeepchief66 said:
[attachment=45685
I found a horribly deformed sulcata this week at the pet store. It felt so horrible seein ghim there and they were asking 250ea for him and three red foots so i made a deal with the pet store owner that i would buy all four if he cut the price down to 175 for the red foots and i told him 125 for the sulcata.it was wrong to have them in a 30 galloon tank the sulcata couldnt even turn around and the red foot are all around 8 inchs and the sulcata 14 inchs so here is a pic of mcgyver the deformed sulcata
[/quote]

That's a great thing you did! You are the new hero to that poor Sulcata and the Red Foots to I am sure! Great, great job! :)

devsharkey

10 Year Member!
Arizona
He is very lucky to have someone like you! He looks much happier! :)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Bless his heart. He is so precious! I cant even imagine how happy he is now! You did a great thing helping him. He has the sweetest face!! :) I am sure he will enjoy his new home with you.

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
You would think by now that pet stores would have some training in the reptile field especially for tortoises, I mean how hard is it to look up real information about tortoises then to make things up in a silly little brochure, How do the Redfoots look? You did a fantastic job saving that sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.