PURPLE ORGAN COMING OUT OF MY TORTOISE TAIL!!

AbuSultan

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Sooo today i was washing Sultan (my ~5 year old male Russian Tortoise). I put him back in his tortoise house after and then all the sudden he started pushing something out of his tail. But this time was different. This lil guy became stiff and his neck was stressed. He was pushing really hard. So i got scared. Then he started backtracking and walking backwards. His backside started to lift off the ground! I was thinking something got stuck under him so I got closer to see a 2-3inch purple organ/poop lookin thing sticking out of his tail!!!!!!!!!!! I got so scared and picked him up and rushed him to the sink cuz i though it was some infected poop or something. All the sudden it went straight back into his tail and retracted. I was tweakin and was ready to take him to the vet. Looked like a god damn alien was coming out of him. I was thinking what if he is giving birth!!! What kind of Jesus turtle did i get?! So anyway - after reading on Tortoise Forums, this is super common for young male tortoises that are coming out of puberty and is known as "flashing". Yuppp - u guessed it... it was his Penis! This guy was flashing his man jewels lol. I guess it is common when they first discover it to flash it for a week or so then they finally calm down. Man that was crazy.

Anyone else experience their first flash? Would love to hear about it.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sooo today i was washing Sultan (my ~5 year old male Russian Tortoise). I put him back in his tortoise house after and then all the sudden he started pushing something out of his tail. But this time was different. This lil guy became stiff and his neck was stressed. He was pushing really hard. So i got scared. Then he started backtracking and walking backwards. His backside started to lift off the ground! I was thinking something got stuck under him so I got closer to see a 2-3inch purple organ/poop lookin thing sticking out of his tail!!!!!!!!!!! I got so scared and picked him up and rushed him to the sink cuz i though it was some infected poop or something. All the sudden it went straight back into his tail and retracted. I was tweakin and was ready to take him to the vet. Looked like a god damn alien was coming out of him. I was thinking what if he is giving birth!!! What kind of Jesus turtle did i get?! So anyway - after reading on Tortoise Forums, this is super common for young male tortoises that are coming out of puberty and is known as "flashing". Yuppp - u guessed it... it was his Penis! This guy was flashing his man jewels lol. I guess it is common when they first discover it to flash it for a week or so then they finally calm down. Man that was crazy.

You don't even wanna know what I did! Hahaha Hahahahaha

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Years ago my first Sulcata was about 50 pounds when he started grunting and straining in his pen. I was picking up poop at the time and became concerned that he was constipated or something, so I flung myself face down on the ground behind him...and a gigantic alien-looking thing unfurled from underneath him and missed hitting me in the face by inches. Oh crap, my first time...LOL

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I hope it's not what I am thinking you did......
It might be...every time I see a tortoise flashing post I have to laugh at myself even more...he was just being a little Russian tortoise...poor little guy. You probably haven't seen the end of that yet. They're also called Horsefield tortoise.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Years ago my first Sulcata was about 50 pounds when he started grunting and straining in his pen. I was picking up poop at the time and became concerned that he was constipated or something, so I flung myself face down on the ground behind him...and a gigantic alien-looking thing unfurled from underneath him and missed hitting me in the face by inches. Oh crap, my first time...LOL
Oh my garsh ? a 50 pounder full fledged and I thought a Russian was bad.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It was disgusting, scary and embarassing at the same time...has anyone beside me noticed that tortoise people above any other animal people make fun and laugh at poop and or other bodily stuff. Tortoise penises are gross no matter the species...:)

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It was disgusting, scary and embarassing at the same time...has anyone beside me noticed that tortoise people above any other animal people make fun and laugh at poop and or other bodily stuff. Tortoise penises are gross no matter the species...:)
Yea I guess we are a different kind of people...but a tort is sooo cute. How can we help it?:tort:?

CEvans

Phoenix
When Buzz my sully first did that I was amazed. Oh and his pop....especially when he steps into it and then knows I just washed down the patio and prances around the patio and I walk out and I have all these tortoise pop foot marks. The joy of it! "Some Tortoise"! (I stole that line from Charlotte's Web, when she writes in her web "some pig" )

Lisa J

IOWA
Thank you for the laughs- and the heads up
I have gotten my first tortoise last November and have been reading the posts and any information I can get is appreciated. I’m not looking forward to my guy flashing himself!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Remember the movie "Alien" when the gross little creature busted out of Sigourny Weaver's chest? That's what I thought was happening to my tortoise the first time I seen it.

Amy Spino

5 Year Member

Does this mostly happen with young turtles? Because my 45+ year old box turtle Timmy “flashes” on a regular basis! ?

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Does this mostly happen with young turtles? Because my 45+ year old box turtle Timmy “flashes” on a regular basis! ?
Yes, my 2 yr old Sucata has been flashing me for about 6 months. My wife was first to get flashed, and it scared her. Posted a couple of picture a couple of weeks ago.