PURPLE ORGAN COMING OUT OF MY TORTOISE TAIL!!

Geeklet

Location (City and/or State)
Walsall
Sooo today i was washing Sultan (my ~5 year old male Russian Tortoise). I put him back in his tortoise house after and then all the sudden he started pushing something out of his tail. But this time was different. This lil guy became stiff and his neck was stressed. He was pushing really hard. So i got scared. Then he started backtracking and walking backwards. His backside started to lift off the ground! I was thinking something got stuck under him so I got closer to see a 2-3inch purple organ/poop lookin thing sticking out of his tail!!!!!!!!!!! I got so scared and picked him up and rushed him to the sink cuz i though it was some infected poop or something. All the sudden it went straight back into his tail and retracted. I was tweakin and was ready to take him to the vet. Looked like a god damn alien was coming out of him. I was thinking what if he is giving birth!!! What kind of Jesus turtle did i get?! So anyway - after reading on Tortoise Forums, this is super common for young male tortoises that are coming out of puberty and is known as "flashing". Yuppp - u guessed it... it was his Penis! This guy was flashing his man jewels lol. I guess it is common when they first discover it to flash it for a week or so then they finally calm down. Man that was crazy.

Anyone else experience their first flash? Would love to hear about it.
What kind of Jesus turtle did i get?! This got me 🤣

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Ah, the old "take a cold shower" trick.

Interesting comparison you made there. Do you eat beef jerky after that experience?
Nope and I never did anyway. So that was double trouble he was in poor tort 🐢😁