PVC closed Enclousure question

sulandcata

Location (City and/or State)
Nuevo Leon
Good Morning I have been trying to upgrade the enclosure of 1 of my totoise and decided to creat a PVC enclosure my question is when posters refer to PVC enclosure what Type of PVC is the one people are talking about I tried seeing the PVC called trovicel but it seemed a little bit soft that is why I am asking I was able to get some types of PVC that could work but I am still having doubts of it is the correct one since I havent buy it I will just leave the names of the ones i think are the correct one please feel free to correct me so I can learn more of enclosure building.
PVC-C (chlorinated)
PVC-M (modified)
PVC-O (Oriented PVC)

Those are the PVC types I found might be good but I would still like to validate wich is the correct material.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
It’s expanded PVC that you’re after. It’s sometimes shown as EPVC or E-PVC. A common brand is Sintra.

@Markw84 will be able to provide you more specific information if you have questions. He also builds incredible enclosures out of expanded pvc that are worth looking into.

Also, here’s a great thread that I’m sure you’ll find some value in.

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/building-your-own-expanded-pvc-enclosed-chamber-–-for-beginners.159220/

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Good Morning I have been trying to upgrade the enclosure of 1 of my totoise and decided to creat a PVC enclosure my question is when posters refer to PVC enclosure what Type of PVC is the one people are talking about I tried seeing the PVC called trovicel but it seemed a little bit soft that is why I am asking I was able to get some types of PVC that could work but I am still having doubts of it is the correct one since I havent buy it I will just leave the names of the ones i think are the correct one please feel free to correct me so I can learn more of enclosure building.
PVC-C (chlorinated)
PVC-M (modified)
PVC-O (Oriented PVC)

Those are the PVC types I found might be good but I would still like to validate wich is the correct material.
In the US it is always listed as Expanded PVC The most common brand I use is Celtec. It is a regular PVC that has tiny air bubbles injected during the extrusion process to make it more light-weight. It is completely chemical and water resistant and is a bit softer that a hardwood. It does make excellent enclosures.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
PVC-C (chlorinated)
PVC-M (modified)
PVC-O (Oriented PVC)

This is what I used:

sulandcata

Nuevo Leon
Oh really thank you very much I always thougth that one was not useable since it is not really rigid and i thougth the proces of puting nailings or creating railings within the same material wouldn´t work. Since well that kind of PVC is a soft PVC and is easy to bend specially when using big pieces and from all the PVCs it seems to be the less heat resistant.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Oh really thank you very much I always thougth that one was not useable since it is not really rigid and i thougth the proces of puting nailings or creating railings within the same material wouldn´t work. Since well that kind of PVC is a soft PVC and is easy to bend specially when using big pieces and from all the PVCs it seems to be the less heat resistant.
I used PVC glue, not fasteners. It’s a bit trickier, but it makes it more impervious to leaks. I also caulked the seams around the bottom to ensure no leakage. It requires a center brace for longer expanses, but I couldn’t be happier. The lights are suspended by chains by cup hooks screwed into the ceiling. I can raise or lower them depending on the time of year/need. I also hang plants from the ceiling using the same kind of hooks.