Pyramiding and evidence of spine/ bone deformation

Amanda Payton

Location (City and/or State)
Roy
I'm really looking for picture and other research on how pyramiding effects the spine and other bones of a redfoot since many are fused. I made this silly sketch and it makes sense to me but would like some evidence to show along with it. All credit given to whomever of course! ? ?FlyerMaker_11112020_100915.png

Attachments

• FlyerMaker_11112020_080536.png
    FlyerMaker_11112020_080536.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 1

zovick

10 Year Member!
Your illustrations look fine and I understand them, but unfortunately have no photos to share on the effect pyramiding on the skeletal structure.

@Markw84 do you have any references on this subject?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Here's an x-ray of a smooth tortoise followed by one of a pyramided tortoise.

the brightest white at the top with the red marks is the bone of the spine. You can see the thin layer of keratin on top of that (the scutes) The pyramiding does indeed deform the bone growth causing the bones of the spine to bend and/or tip in the direction of the growth of the scute above. There are far more bones in the spine than there are vertebral scutes so not all off the bones of the spine are directly under a scute seam.

The photo of a pyramided tortoise is one with slight MBD and you can see the bone has become more porus. That is not caused by the conditions that cause pyramiding - so you can have tortoises that are pyramided but still have good bone density.

xray-smooth.jpg

xray-pyramided.jpg

Hope this help in what you are looking for.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Also, here's a drawing I did of how the bones of a chelonian are positioned in relation to the scutes. The names on right are the names of scutes. Names on left = the names of the bones. To overlay, I only show 1/2 of each so you only see 1/2 of the spine bones and vertebral scutes. Perhaps this is of help to you as well...

Bones and Scutes of Tortoise.jpg

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I'm really looking for picture and other research on how pyramiding effects the spine and other bones of a redfoot since many are fused. I made this silly sketch and it makes sense to me but would like some evidence to show along with it. All credit given to whomever of course! ? ?View attachment 310905

Hey! Wow!!
You can draw !!!
I like it!
I don’t know the answer but I think this drawing sums it up pretty well..?
?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm really looking for picture and other research on how pyramiding effects the spine and other bones of a redfoot since many are fused. I made this silly sketch and it makes sense to me but would like some evidence to show along with it. All credit given to whomever of course! ? ?View attachment 310905
Pyramiding affect the bones that form the shell, not the actual spine. You can clearly see the straight spine in the second pic in Mark' post that shows the pyramided tortoise. The spine grows along the underside of the pyramided scutes and bone.

Amanda Payton

Roy
Here's an x-ray of a smooth tortoise followed by one of a pyramided tortoise.

the brightest white at the top with the red marks is the bone of the spine. You can see the thin layer of keratin on top of that (the scutes) The pyramiding does indeed deform the bone growth causing the bones of the spine to bend and/or tip in the direction of the growth of the scute above. There are far more bones in the spine than there are vertebral scutes so not all off the bones of the spine are directly under a scute seam.

The photo of a pyramided tortoise is one with slight MBD and you can see the bone has become more porus. That is not caused by the conditions that cause pyramiding - so you can have tortoises that are pyramided but still have good bone density.

View attachment 310910

View attachment 310911

Hope this help in what you are looking for.
Thank you so much