Pyramiding and sharp scutes

Wrighty

Hi there,

I am about to adopt one of two small (young?) Horsefields. I saw them both for the first time today and both appear to have shells that have pyramided a bit. The smaller of the two (about 4 inches front to back: the other is about an inch longer) has sharp edges on the scutes. It also didn't open its eyes when I picked it up or stroked it under the chin (it was awake). I would rather have the smaller one as I feel I could make the biggest difference to its life judging by its current condition.

Does anyone have advise on what to do about these shell problems and also if its eyes being shut are a sign of something being wrong too.

All advice gratefully received!:tort::tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When a tortoise is sound asleep with his eyes closed, it sometimes takes a few seconds for them to open. However, eyes closed is also a good indication there's something wrong with the tortoise's health. Personally, I wouldn't get that one. You're only buying trouble and expense.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I too am thinking the smaller one is sounding like it may have some major problems with health. :( I would suggest you go with the bigger one. That being said, I am a sucker who am I kidding, I would be getting the smaller one myself. Of course, I would get it expecting it would fail to survive. :(

Wrighty

Thanks for the replies. They are up for re homing at no cost. I might see if I can get it to a vet first and see if they can make any diagnosis.