Pyramiding diagnosis, I know it's been done to death, but....

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
We are new to tortoises and honestly the pictures of severe pyramiding I have seen actually keep me up at night. I am regularly "petting" our Odin (sulcata) and staring at him looking for changes. The past three weeks I think he feels less smooth now than he has in the past and I am starting to freak out a little bit (or a lot). I know it can't be undone and I know (thanks to all of you) changes we can make to our set-up if necessary (it's a work in progress) to minimize it going forward but I am not confident enough to diagnose it myself at this stage. Is it just normal growth or is it a slight case of pyramiding?
Info: He is 9 months old, active, eats well, I have no info on his first two months of life but current enclosure and diet info here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/indoor-enclosure-all-input-welcome.108222/#post-1026846
008.JPG 012.JPG 027.JPG 032.JPG 040.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks like he had a dry start, but the more recent growth of the past few weeks looks better. The open top makes it really difficult to provide the needed conditions for smooth growth. Spraying the shell daily will also help to ensure continued smooth growth, along with regular soaks.

You tortoise will outgrow that enclosures soon. Maybe a large 4x8 closed chamber could replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Thanks for the response, Tom. That is what I was thinking too but as I said, I am new to this so I needed opinions from those with more experience.
We have been modifying and learning as we go and I know we have a long way to go. With the slightly open enclosure we are still doing daily soaks and keeping moist moss tucked all around the enclosure in addition to the daily waterings of the beds. He gets pretty grumpy when we spray him but I "accidentally" do it anyway when I am spraying his moss. :D I have also been looking at heat mats for underneath the beds to raise the temp and humidity a bit. And as far as more indoor space goes, we are still in the discussion and planning phase. We were hoping that this would suffice until spring when we can get him situated in a more 50/50-indoor/ outdoor situation. He is still so small and he will only just be 1 in May so I don't know if that is too soon?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I should mention that there was about a month or so period after we first got him that his shell had just a tiny bit of softness and give to it, it was then I hit the internet hard and starting stalking this place and changing everything the seller told my son and his GF.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your tort is so very cute. Incase you haven't really seen Toms reads, they are below in my post. Just incase or for refreshing your memory. Many of us have had to go back and reread many times before it stuck or semi stuck:D.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
His current enclosure should last just fine until spring. I like the indoor/outdoor thing. Indoor at night and during cold weather, outside during nicer weather during the day. This routine has always served me very well for young ones.

I would not use mats under anything. I've seen too many issues even though some people seem to get away with it.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I'm glad I mentioned it before ordering it then! I have been on the fence about it for days.
We are really looking forward to building something outdoors for him, my son and I are both quite handy and we have a ton of ideas! Also, our yard has been pesticide / chemical free (and weed-full) for more than 20 years not only for my kids and the pets we have had over the years but also for the environment as a whole. It p*sses our neighbors off, but I have always been kind of a hippy with that sort of thing. Since my kids were babies (they are 23, 19 and 17 now) I have grown safe-to-eat-off-the-vine edibles in the yard for people and I am more than happy to turn it all over to this little guy for as long as he and my son still live here.

Unless I tortoise-nap him and keep him forever! MWHAHAHAAAA!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Your tort is so very cute. Incase you haven't really seen Toms reads, they are below in my post. Just incase or for refreshing your memory. Many of us have had to go back and reread many times before it stuck or semi stuck:D.

I stalk Tom's (and everyone elses) threads endlessly. This handsome little guy has turned into a bit of an obsession for me.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I'm betting the Odin is female. What a pretty face!
That's what I told my son! He doesn't believe me, but time will tell.
I have been studying pics of plastrons and such to see if I could get a hint this early, but i am just too green to say either way.