Pyramiding - do you think this will go away?

LisaLew

Location (City and/or State)
DFW Texas
Hello! I’m told Fallon is a year old. No one knows the hatch date, so she could be older. She is 4.5 inches long. When we got her last month I noted she had pyramiding. She had lived in an aquarium with no controlled humidity and a basking lamp.

She now has good humidity and ceramic heat in her indoor enclosure, and she stays outdoors in a protected area for a minimum of 2-3 hours per day. It’s been humid here lately, and I’ve also used a mister outside. We soak her every evening and she seems to love it.

What are the odds we can smooth out her shell with a good humidified and hydrated life? We love her either way, but want to take perfect care of this little sweetie!

Attachments

• AA94F4C8-6134-4E2A-9793-9EEA83F6205A.jpeg
    AA94F4C8-6134-4E2A-9793-9EEA83F6205A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • E937BF18-EDC0-4D04-9EC5-752FA05B12D8.jpeg
    E937BF18-EDC0-4D04-9EC5-752FA05B12D8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
What a little cutie and welcome to the forum. I have a leopard tortoise that had a little pyramiding until I got him into the right environment. The permitting is still there but the new growth is pretty smooth. Permitting is harmless but the tortoise is certainly much better looking if it’s not doing it and you know it’s much more healthy. Just keep doing all the right things and you’re gonna have a healthy happy tortoise and again welcome.

LisaLew

DFW Texas
What a little cutie and welcome to the forum. I have a leopard tortoise that had a little pyramiding until I got him into the right environment. The permitting is still there but the new growth is pretty smooth. Permitting is harmless but the tortoise is certainly much better looking if it’s not doing it and you know it’s much more healthy. Just keep doing all the right things and you’re gonna have a healthy happy tortoise and again welcome.
Thank you so much. The kids and I love looking at leopard photos - they are so artsy! I appreciate the warm welcome.

jeannettep

Texas
That's a good idea! We've been getting rain everyday, but I hadn't thought of setting up the mister we stored for our tort when it gets dry. We give ours a good soak when we bring her in. Even though she has her water dish outside, she loves her inside soak. She reminds me of telling a 2 year old its bath time.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep, set up your outdoor mister/sprayer. We have a 100 lb plus Sully and last month, we had 27 days above 90. I have a timer on our outdoor sprinkler that spreads a nice even mist on every six hours. Keeps things, plants and Sully, wet, humid & watered.