Pyramiding help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlewurx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nacogdoches, TX
HELP!!!! I need some suggestions. My boys are still pyramiding. it's very slight, but it's still happening.

Here's what I'm doing/have got:
They're... maybe 6-8 months or so old. I have them in a 4'x'4 table. Cool area's around 72 degrees. Hot spot's at 100. Bermuda grass is growing in the table for them to eat. I feed them (mostly) Mustard greens, Collard Greens, & kale 2 or 3 times a day (or whenever their bowl's empty.) I sprinkle a calcium supplement on their food every Monday. They have a cuttle bone to chew on, & I soak them at least 1/2 an hour every day in warm water. ...But they still seem to be pyramiding some. The only thing I can see that's a problem, is that I can't get the table to 80% humidity. It's just too darn big. It averages about 50%. However, I give them nice long soaks, & they have a water dish they can soak in whenever they want, & I mist them & their food.

Still, with the table at %50, that's the only thing I can figure that's causing it. I was thinking of getting a small tub with a lid to put them in at night, That way they could have the high humidity at night, & I could put them back in their table during the day.

What do y'all think? Is that the prudent next step? Should I do something else? Could the pyramiding be due to something other than the humidity? is there something wrong with my setup/routine?

Like I said, the pyramiding is slight, but I want happy, healthy torts, so I want to fix whatever the problem is.

Thanks guys!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't worry so much about it. Growth on a tortoise is so slow that you can't notice it in the amount of time you have been working with your tortoise. Just provide the best possible care and quit worrying so much. Let the tortoise be a tortoise, and relax!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You could add a humid hide for them to sleep in. As well as use a baster when you soak them to baste them with water over their carapace while they soak. This also will still occur depending on how the breeder or store had them just after they hatched. Definitely add some cactus in their diet, mazuri is good too for the little guys. Im currently doing an experiment with open top enclosures with my baby sulcatas to see what difference of pyrimiding shows from a closed chamber, to open top. Also I would boost the cool side to 80-85. I found the deeper I made the substrate the more moisture it will hold, between spray downs.

turtlewurx

5 Year Member
Nacogdoches, TX
emysemys said:
Don't worry so much about it. Growth on a tortoise is so slow that you can't notice it in the amount of time you have been working with your tortoise. Just provide the best possible care and quit worrying so much. Let the tortoise be a tortoise, and relax!

..Hehe... Yeah, I admit it. I'm a worrywart when it comes to my pets. Okay. I'll quit fretting so much. ..Or at least, I'll try.

tortadise said:
You could add a humid hide for them to sleep in. As well as use a baster when you soak them to baste them with water over their carapace while they soak. This also will still occur depending on how the breeder or store had them just after they hatched. Definitely add some cactus in their diet, mazuri is good too for the little guys. Im currently doing an experiment with open top enclosures with my baby sulcatas to see what difference of pyrimiding shows from a closed chamber, to open top. Also I would boost the cool side to 80-85. I found the deeper I made the substrate the more moisture it will hold, between spray downs.

Good idea. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.