Pyramiding in my star

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hi I have an Indian Star tortoise and I was told she had some pyramiding. I got her like this about 5 months ago and I always noticed it but haven't acknowledged until now when I found out it was a bone disorder. what should I do to fix her shell she is also a little over 1 years old and I will be moving her outside once the weather gets warmer.

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 221

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Leaving it outside should correct the humidity issues.What are you feeding it?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I dont think you will actually be able to fix her shell but the sun will help it not get worse. I am pretty sure they need humidity too!! Good luck to you! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In sulcatas and leopards pyramiding occurs when they grow in conditions that are too dry. I don't raise stars, so I can't offer any advice on specifically what to do for them, but sunshine has very little to do with pyramiding.

You cannot "fix" the growth that has already occurred. With the correct conditions you can slowly begin to improve the new growth. Neal in AZ has much experience with both stars AND with growing smooth tortoises. I'd send him a PM.

Your baby could also use a lot more variety in the diet.

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
Agree with Tom. May not all be relevant, but you absolutely must read Tom's thread 'End of pyramiding'. I have stars that are about 8 months old and have been applying what I have learnt (
Closed chamber, high humidity, frequent spraying) and I think the pyramiding is becoming less noticeable. I'm currently taking serial photos and will hopefully post these in a few months.

Also agree that you must get in touch with Neal. Have learnt a lot from him! .....and he has gorgeous Star tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.