Pyramiding in my Sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi! I have a one year old Sulcata, and a few months ago I noticed her shell was slightly raised. My friend who is a naturalist said that a slightly bumpy shell is normal, but I really think it’s a case of pyramiding.

I upped her soaks from twice a week to everyday and I started to mist her enclosure 3-5 times a day when I’m home. I put in moss as well to keep the humidity. I’m going out to get some topsoil and more forest floor bedding to give her more to burrow in, as I think that’s where I went wrong in her enclosure. She does have an open enclosure. Is that fine to keep if I provide 2 feet of burrowing substrate?

C10F949C-4F92-4A3A-84E6-7EF9D9788598.jpeg 9F59F20E-B5C7-4B83-9DCC-C0937EF7BCFB.jpeg F5DE0F27-B5B5-4831-B27C-5FACA288415E.jpeg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Open enclosures will not hold the heat or humidity in. For a salcata you need 80 to 100 percent humidity and warm 80 and above enclosure to stop pyramiding. The substrate should be moistened all the way from top to bottom. Please read our care sheets at the top of the salcata section. They wii tell you everything you need.

Pennsylvania
Open enclosures will not hold the heat or humidity in. For a salcata you need 80 to 100 percent humidity and warm 80 and above enclosure to stop pyramiding. The substrate should be moistened all the way from top to bottom.

Thank you so much! So if I make like a plexiglass cover for her enclosure, that would work? But will enough oxygen get in and such if I do that? (Maybe a stupid question, haha)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi! I have a one year old Sulcata, and a few months ago I noticed her shell was slightly raised. My friend who is a naturalist said that a slightly bumpy shell is normal, but I really think it’s a case of pyramiding.

I upped her soaks from twice a week to everyday and I started to mist her enclosure 3-5 times a day when I’m home. I put in moss as well to keep the humidity. I’m going out to get some topsoil and more forest floor bedding to give her more to burrow in, as I think that’s where I went wrong in her enclosure. She does have an open enclosure. Is that fine to keep if I provide 2 feet of burrowing substrate?

View attachment 260564 View attachment 260565 View attachment 260566
The lack of living in a warm and humid enclosure during their first year after hatching is what starts the pyramiding. I agree with what Cheryl has said.