Pyramiding in young pancakes

Mikeg

10 Year Member!
So I just picked these two little ones up today (hatched in january) They obviously have some pyramiding starting. What I am concerned with is the divot behind mid-point along the vertebral scutes. What are your thoughts? I will be supplementing their food with calcium powder and repashy superveggie. I will also be feeding a staple of spring mix, yellow squash/zucchini, diced carrots, bell pepper, collard greens, occasional kale, and radichio. They were kept on aspen and only soaked until they were eating, but had access to a water bowl. I'm thinking this is correlated to using a coil uvb bulb and not providing them with enough humidity as they've been growing (their past conditions). I have them on a power sun uvb, will be soaking daily, slate to climb on and under, access to water, a humid hide, and organic compost as substrate for a little moisture retention. Let me know if there is anything else you recommend I do to help get these guys nice and straightened out. View attachment 22095520171021_180108.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
feeding a staple of spring mix, yellow squash/zucchini, diced carrots, bell pepper, collard greens, occasional kale, and radichio. They were kept on aspen and only soaked until they were eating, but had access to a water bowl. I'm thinking this is correlated to using a coil uvb bulb and not providing them with enough humidity as they've been growing (their past conditions).
Howdy Mikeg,
You are very good for taking on these pancakes in the condition they’re in. I’ve never seen pancakes in such a state and I’ve seen many. I’ve got to ask and let y’all know a concern of mine is why a “feeding a staple of spring mix, yellow squash/zucchini, diced carrots, bell pepper, collard greens, occasional kale, and radichio” and not primarily weeds and grasses? Those human foods are kinda good fer us humans, but certainly not good as a staple fer a tortoise. The best thing with feeding them thar weeds is theys tend to always be growin’, free, and alotta folks will give ya abig ol’ thankya fer takin them. I’ve heard tell of folks payin to have thems weeds done takin out and away. Can you figure that? It’s just important to know for sure that the area is herbicide/pesticide/fertilizer free for the health of all your tortoises. It’s very important to monitor your 24 hour highs and lows for temps and humidity using a digital reader. I like your choice of the Zoo Med PowerSun lamp, (because that’s what I use!) keep up the tortoise life. IMG_0306.jpgIMG_0215.jpgIMG_0282.jpg
Oh, and lest I fergets thems are picks of pancakes I’ve done had me in the past.

Mikeg

10 Year Member!
Howdy Mikeg,
You are very good for taking on these pancakes in the condition they’re in. I’ve never seen pancakes in such a state and I’ve seen many. I’ve got to ask and let y’all know a concern of mine is why a “feeding a staple of spring mix, yellow squash/zucchini, diced carrots, bell pepper, collard greens, occasional kale, and radichio” and not primarily weeds and grasses? Those human foods are kinda good fer us humans, but certainly not good as a staple fer a tortoise. The best thing with feeding them thar weeds is theys tend to always be growin’, free, and alotta folks will give ya abig ol’ thankya fer takin them. I’ve heard tell of folks payin to have thems weeds done takin out and away. Can you figure that? It’s just important to know for sure that the area is herbicide/pesticide/fertilizer free for the health of all your tortoises. It’s very important to monitor your 24 hour highs and lows for temps and humidity using a digital reader. I like your choice of the Zoo Med PowerSun lamp, (because that’s what I use!) keep up the tortoise life. View attachment 220958View attachment 220959View attachment 220960
Oh, and lest I fergets thems are picks of pancakes I’ve done had me in the past.
Thanks! I figured their deformities were due to a mixture of improper humidity and nutrients. So I thought a mixture of the aforementioned would help get them on a decent track. I feed my greeks spring mix during winter (Washington) since I don't get to find much in terms of weeds. I'll start hunting some stuff down like plantains, dandelion, and some decent grasses. I'll also order some mazuri and see if they'll take on to that.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I figured their deformities were due to improper humidity during winter (Washington) since I don't get to find much in terms of weeds. I'll start hunting some stuff down like plantains, dandelion, and some decent grasses. I'll also order some mazuri and see if they'll take on to that.
Humidity yes, not so much nutrients. I’m just south of you on I-5 in Oregon and we’ve still got plenty of weeds growing wild. If you go to a farm and ranch store you should be able to pick up a sack of 5 grains pasture mix seed for growing flats of good grasses for them. Do a dandelion seed search on eBay and you’ll find plenty of sellers same for plantains and other weeds which will make it easy to have the weeds on hand always. Just learn the habits of the weeds; for instance dandelion seeds won’t sprout buried. They need sun exposure to germinate. Who knew, right? LOL. I done learned from thems who knows that pancakes are best fer breddin’ in a male heavy group. Also, the smallest enclosure I had for 3-5 was 2’x4’.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pancake care is the same as sulcatas, leopards and stars. More people start babies too dry and don't soak enough.

All great advice from Ken. Here is how I care for them:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

I'd also add that they should be separated. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs.

If you must use grocery store foods, they should be amended daily with ZooMed Grassland pellets, blended up grass hay, herbal hay, or something to add variety, calcium and fiber. Also look for some spineless opuntia pads to feed them as wild pancakes eat a fair amount of succulents.