Pyramiding -Just a suggestion-

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Taunton, MA
I have a suggestion. I have seen a lot of post asking if their torts shell is ok.. Some are smooth, some are slightly bumpy and some have obvious pyramiding.. Could there be an album made for stages of pyramiding? Showing whats normal for each species. What's normal for hatchlings, yearlings, juveniles and adults. As a new tort owner, as many here are, we have no idea what is "normal" for our torts or what is normal growth. If this already exist please point me in the right direction and if it doesn't maybe its something that can me added.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I would provide one of my tortoises progress. I never had a problem with Pyramiding, and I hope I don’t.
The first two are a few days after I got my sulcata.7066DDD2-B0D2-47D8-B79A-1FB80666FE57.jpeg1B3ACBA3-8810-4080-8942-10EC2B7C3E80.jpeg6C85DB1B-3E13-44F9-ABAC-84569477FA06.jpeg57739024-18AE-4196-AFA3-A7023CE562FF.jpeg

Bee62

Germany
I have a suggestion. I have seen a lot of post asking if their torts shell is ok.. Some are smooth, some are slightly bumpy and some have obvious pyramiding.. Could there be an album made for stages of pyramiding? Showing whats normal for each species. What's normal for hatchlings, yearlings, juveniles and adults. As a new tort owner, as many here are, we have no idea what is "normal" for our torts or what is normal growth. If this already exist please point me in the right direction and if it doesn't maybe its something that can me added.
You can do an easy test that every newbie can do and you will know a few seconds later if your tortoise is pyramiding or not: Strike gently with your fingertips over the shell ( carapax ) of your tortoise. You should feel not much grooves or bumps. The shell should be smooth just like a half ball. When you can feel bumps or deeper grooves your tortoise has the beginning of pyramiding and needs more humidity. More soaks and more humidity in the enclosure.
Do the test with your fingertips on the shell of your tortoise and you will know.

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
You can do an easy test that every newbie can do and you will know a few seconds later if your tortoise is pyramiding or not: Strike gently with your fingertips over the shell ( carapax ) of your tortoise. You should feel not much grooves or bumps. The shell should be smooth just like a half ball. When you can feel bumps or deeper grooves your tortoise has the beginning of pyramiding and needs more humidity. More soaks and more humidity in the enclosure.
Do the test with your fingertips on the shell of your tortoise and you will know.
Great tip! Do some species have peaks naturally?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Looks great! I've read a few articles during my research that some species do have some pyramiding that is their normal so it can be confusing to newbs
Most I Believe in their natural environment, do not pyramid descending in what species you talk about. Some that do not pyramid when are “wild” are the sulcata tortoises.