Pyramiding tortoise, and tips of what to do?

hollygaucas

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
It’s all in the title really, but my Russian tort has started pyramiding. If it helps he is 3 months old and I have only had him for three days. He was like this in the shop when I bought him, is there anything I can do to prevent or cure this? Open for any replies.

hollygaucas

Manchester
It’s all in the title really, but my Russian tort has started pyramiding. If it helps he is 3 months old and I have only had him for three days. He was like this in the shop when I bought him, is there anything I can do to prevent or cure this? Open for any replies.
He is also bathed and soaked in water every day. If that helps. [emoji26]

Destben

Kansas
What is your humidity at in the enclosure and have you gotten a humid hide for your baby?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Once that bit of pyramiding has formed it is there. Your goal should be to prevent any further pyramiding with proper care and humidity. If your tort is only 3months and no further pyramiding forms then you will hardly notice it once it is grown.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pyramiding in tortoises happens when a baby tortoise is kept too dry. Use some sort of substrate that you can moisten without molding and it will help.

hollygaucas

Manchester
Once that bit of pyramiding has formed it is there. Your goal should be to prevent any further pyramiding with proper care and humidity. If your tort is only 3months and no further pyramiding forms then you will hardly notice it once it is grown.

Okay thanks!

hollygaucas

Manchester
Pyramiding in tortoises happens when a baby tortoise is kept too dry. Use some sort of substrate that you can moisten without molding and it will help.

What sort of substrate would you recommend? You say that this happens when the baby is too dry, so to prevent this happening again in the future should I soak my baby regularly? Lately I have been soaking him every day, but at the pet store he was only being soaked once a month and he had already gotten pyramiding before I bought him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, daily soaks until he gets to be about a year or older, then you can have a waterer in his habitat, and soak him two or three times a week. My substrate of choice is fine grade orchid bark. Second choice is cypress mulch. But substrate is a personal choice. You find the one that works for you and provides what you're striving for.

hollygaucas

Manchester
Yes, daily soaks until he gets to be about a year or older, then you can have a waterer in his habitat, and soak him two or three times a week. My substrate of choice is fine grade orchid bark. Second choice is cypress mulch. But substrate is a personal choice. You find the one that works for you and provides what you're striving for.

Thanks!

hollygaucas

Manchester
What is your humidity at in the enclosure and have you gotten a humid hide for your baby?

Sorry only just seen this comment, the humidity is about 55% and the temperature is 80F. I have do have a hide but it’s made of wood.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Sorry only just seen this comment, the humidity is about 55% and the temperature is 80F. I have do have a hide but it’s made of wood.

A humid hide is different than a regular hide. A humid hide is more enclosed, and the substrate is very damp to hold humidity. A regular hide is just a regular hide like your log. Try getting a dishwashing tub and cut a hole in it. Then, just turn it upside down and keep it moist inside.
Here’s an example.
IMG_0004.jpg

hollygaucas

Manchester
A humid hide is different than a regular hide. A humid hide is more enclosed, and the substrate is very damp to hold humidity. A regular hide is just a regular hide like your log. Try getting a dishwashing tub and cut a hole in it. Then, just turn it upside down and keep it moist inside.
Here’s an example.
View attachment 226682

So I need to make it more humid, would that start with changing the substrate? I’ve been recommended orchid bark and cypress mulch. What substrate are you using?

Is there any other way to make the enclosure more humid other than the hide and substrate?

How are the temperatures then?

Thanks for your help!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
So I need to make it more humid, would that start with changing the substrate? I’ve been recommended orchid bark and cypress mulch. What substrate are you using?

Is there any other way to make the enclosure more humid other than the hide and substrate?

How are the temperatures then?

Thanks for your help!

I’m currently using a mixture of orchid bark and coco coir, but I would recommend just going with the orchid bark. You can buy it at PetSmart as reptibark, or at garden centers as fine grade fir bark/orchid bark.

The only way you can make your enclosure mor humid is with new substrate and frequent misting, but even then, a humid hide is very recommended.

Is 80 your basking spot or ambient temp? We have to know more than one. Russians need a basking spot of 100 degrees, and a night temp drop to around 70.

hollygaucas

Manchester
I’m currently using a mixture of orchid bark and coco coir, but I would recommend just going with the orchid bark. You can buy it at PetSmart as reptibark, or at garden centers as fine grade fir bark/orchid bark.

The only way you can make your enclosure mor humid is with new substrate and frequent misting, but even then, a humid hide is very recommended.

Is 80 your basking spot or ambient temp? We have to know more than one. Russians need a basking spot of 100 degrees, and a night temp drop to around 70.

The orchid bark at my pet shop is really big and chunky, is that a problem?

I don’t have a temp gun yet so I don’t know what the temp of different places are but I did put a thermometer and hygrometer in the middle of the enclosure. The temperature of this is 90 *F. The humidity is 30-40%. How are they?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I think as long as it’s labeled as reptibark there, it’s fine. Basking temp needs to get up to 100, and you can achieve that with a higher wattage light. The humidity isn’t a problem as long as you get a humid hide. Hope this helps!

hollygaucas

Manchester
I think as long as it’s labeled as reptibark there, it’s fine. Basking temp needs to get up to 100, and you can achieve that with a higher wattage light. The humidity isn’t a problem as long as you get a humid hide. Hope this helps!

Yeah thanks! I’d say the basking temp is 100 because the middle of the tank is 90 so the temps are fine, right? I’ll get a humid hide! Thanks you’ve been so helpful!