Pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

wessicataylor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi, today I just got a Redfoot tortoise, named Tina, from a lady who had her for about 10 years and I noticed she had some pretty bad pyramiding. The owner said she gave her calcium supplements and didn't give her much protein and Tina lived on her bathroom floor while she had her. I was wondering if this much pyramiding would have any affects on her health and what this could possibly be from?? Also, she is big enough for me to let her live outside, but the humidity here isn't really high enough for her, so what should I do? I tried to attach a picture of her shell, thanks!!

Attachments

• scutes.png
    scutes.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 106

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
It's most likely from not being hydrated throughout its life. No soaks most likely and little to no humidity. It can still be healthy as long as you do the right things. The pyramiding will be there but the health can certainly improve.

Katherine

5 Year Member
WOW. I have seen a lot of a pyramiding but never any this bad on a redfoot. I'm glad she is in your care now. All you can do is correct her diet and habitat, if she survived 10 years on a bathroom floor I am sure she will flourish in the proper set up. Her shell growth will not correct itself, but you can work to correct any other health problems and promote healthy growth in the future.
I am sure your tortoise will be happy outside. If you are concerned about your dry climate their are many good idea on this site for a 'humid hide' that would help her out outside. Even just a sprinkler and some tall grass/weeds can provide a humid retreat for her. There's a lot of redfoot keepers on the forum, hopefully they will come along with brilliant advice : )

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The pyramiding is significant and probably has some on-going effects on her, but probably nothing that will visibly affect her. It might be another matter if the actual shell shape was deformed (sunken, etc.)

While pyramiding is not optimal, it is not a major health issue in most cases.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You can always help, give her soaks everyday, keep her hot and humid, spray her shell and enclosure multiple times daily and feed a good varied diet. goodluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.