Pyramiding

tortgirl123

Hey guys! Just want to know more about this species, definitely on my list! Just wondering why they tend to pyramid so fast and early. Or am I just seeing pics of older torts? Do you think you could house them with another species of tort ( ibera greek ) not planning on buying one anytime soon just want to know just in case!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: Pyrimading

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry.

I would not recommend mixing species. Give them each their own enclosure.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California

um.... are you planning on getting an older Ibera? keep in mind, torts likes to be alone... most of the time they tend to get territorial... I know some people who does it... i do... My 2 year old and my female stays in the same enclosure and i've monitored them for almost a year and no signs of aggression... my male on the other hand, is very territorial... not even a minute and he will attack any other torts that is placed in his enclosure... Also you have to think about space... you'll need a bigger enclosure if you are to have another tortoise... Also be prepared if one does get aggressive... that means you'll have to separate them... PERMANENTLY!

tortgirl123

Pyrimading

I'm not going to get another tort for A LONG time! I was just curious about the species and wondering why they pyramid early. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

They pyramiding because everyone keeps them bone dry from the time they hatch. People say that they will get respiratory infections and shell rot if there is even moderate humidity. They used to say the same thing about sulcatas and leopards. I have never kept Egyptians, so I have no idea if this applies to them or not, but the top breeder of Egyptians in the world lives in Florida. He produces more than anyone else that I know of.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK

Michael Caladrini-spelling is probably wrong- in Italy has produced many hatchlings as well. Tom, while humidity appears to play some part in these, it would be disastrous to keep them with high ambient humidity, diet is one of the main factors in these. However, it would be a good idea to let them dig down. I know someone who had one given to her from a person leaving the country. She keeps him in sand, surface humidity of 30-40% but has a number of burrows of 70% humidity. Temperatures are quite high, but can't remember exactly. Diet involves a number of imported plants from their range to then be grown in a different section of the greenhouse. So far(4 years I think) the growth has been completely smooth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
billskleins said:
Tom who is this top breeder in Florida?

I don't remember his name off hand, but he gave a presentation at last year's TTPG conference. He listed his breeding results for the last 20+ years if I recall. I believe he said he used to live in CT, but moved to FL 10 or 12 years ago. Sorry I don't remember the exact details, but he's been producing lots of Egyptians in Florida humidity for over a decade. He's had no problems with the humidity. I will look up his name in my TTPG program when I get home.

FLINTUS said:
Michael Caladrini-spelling is probably wrong- in Italy has produced many hatchlings as well. Tom, while humidity appears to play some part in these, it would be disastrous to keep them with high ambient humidity...

Forgive my skepticism, but for decades I was told the EXACT same thing about several other species, and people continue to tell me the same thing today, even though it has been completely disproven.

Do you know anyone who has actually had a humidity related problem with Egyptians that wasn't cold related? I would love to learn here.

billskleins

5 Year Member
Tom - that would be John Coakley.

Egyptians don't really burrow.
They do make scrapes and will push their front half into the substrate but I've never seen them burrow nor know of anyone that has witnessed them burrowing.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
The person I was referring to with the only Egyptian I have ever actually picked up has burrows which she made but the tortoise does use them.
I wouldn't think anyone has actually tried to keep them with 80% constant humidity, or at least published the results. You can get a pretty good idea though of their climate by looking at the climate data for their range, it is very dry for the most part.

billskleins

5 Year Member
They probably do take advantage of other animals burrows in the wild especially the younger ones.