Pyraming...Is it a forever thing?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortesRme

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I recently brought home 2 red footed tortoises and they have some pyramiding going on... I was wondering if pyramiding could be reduced over a long period of time if the animal was given the proper diet, husbandry, humidity, supplements, etc...??? These guys are wonderful and I love them to death already but after seeing some of the tortoise pics on here I have realized just how bad their shell condition is. Is it too late to have their shells be close to bowling ball smooth??? If there is any possibility on reversing the condition... is there anything else that I could do to better their chances????

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Unfortunately pyramiding is irreversible, however, you can stop it, and over time it may become less noticeable. I have two redfoots who had pyramiding as well. Just give them tender loving care and they will live a long healthy life :)

TortesRme

5 Year Member
Canada
My next question was actually going to be whether it effected their life span... Too bad that it cant be reversed but oh well. They might just as well look at me and ask if my hair loss is reversible but I think that they are out of luck too. LOL. Thanks for the quick response!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
At this point there is no reason to believe that pyramiding is anything other than cosmetic. There are some questions as to how it affects bone density, but that shouldn't have any effect on life span.

At any rate, as long as you care for your tortoises properly they should outlive you for at least a generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.