Quarantine Period And another Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So I may be getting another Leo.

Quarantine period would be? I searched through a lot of posts, and I saw only one mention of an actual period. That was 3 months. Seems a bit long to me. I'm used to introducing new cats (being a foster for a rescue) and the period is only 2-3 weeks. Of course herps are different :p

It's CB and from someone on this forum. I am going to get it vet checked within a couple of days of arriving. Thor my Leo now (also CB), has been recently vet checked on Tuesday with a fecal and has no problems.

The other question is, can they be in the same room during quarantine and the only real issue is actually coming into contact with each other? Or is it also air-born stuff? He will be vet checked too like I said. So I wasn't sure how much Quarantine period I would need if they both have a good bill of health and if they could essentially be housed next to each other (same wall, but no contact)?

M

Maggie Cummings

4 or 5 months if I were doing it. I think my sister says 6 months.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I know someone who Quarantined a bunch or torts in the same room with others.. they never touched,, but many died. Air borne..it does happen..

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Maggie- the 3 month thing is what Yvonne said.

Laura- I am assuming some of the torts were vetted? Seems like at least one of them had something that could have been noticed if at the vet?

I guess he will go in another room for a while then.

I just don't get all the different scenarios that happen I guess. Some people purchase multiple tortoises (from different breeders), but they get them at the same time and put them together. But a quarantine is necessary if you get torts at different times?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rob: You just never know. I've always felt its better to err on the safety side. During the quarantine period, its good to get fecals and blood work done on both the old and the new animals, just to be safe. Quite a few people just buy or adopt and put all the animals together and seem to have no trouble. I just never wanted to take that chance. But with tortoises it takes a very long time for them to show an illness and during that time, you are thinking everything is ok. But then a couple years down the road one dies and because its so far from when you first put them together, you don't put two and two together.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
emysemys said:
Rob: You just never know. I've always felt its better to err on the safety side. During the quarantine period, its good to get fecals and blood work done on both the old and the new animals, just to be safe. Quite a few people just buy or adopt and put all the animals together and seem to have no trouble. I just never wanted to take that chance. But with tortoises it takes a very long time for them to show an illness and during that time, you are thinking everything is ok. But then a couple years down the road one dies and because its so far from when you first put them together, you don't put two and two together.

Thanks. I probably won't be getting blood work ($110 additional cost) but will be getting a fecal and vet check should I get another hatchling.

I will set up his tort table in another room.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
I think a lot of people feel safer puting hatchlings together because they haven't been around as long with as many opportunites to get exposed to infection. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but that seems to be the logic behind the multiple hatchlings from different reliable breeders.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Basicly a quarantine period is for reducing stress and watching for disease. It's always stressful to more an animal from one situation to a different situation. So the quarantine period lets an animal get used to how you will be keeping him/her without competition from another animal present. When stressed bacteria and other nasties that are present (but the tortoise was handling them fine before the move) can blossom and become a disease causing vector.
It all depends on what the other person has for tortoises. If the person only has CB tortoises, than 1 or 2 months quarantine should be fine. If the person also has WC animals, than your talking a 3 to 6 month quarantine.
You should have no trouble quarantining an animal in the same room as another animal. That is as long as you follow some good protocals, like taking care of new animals last and always washing after handling new animals.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.