quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
As some of you know, I recently received a male and female russian from a rescue. I now have the opportunity to recieve 2 more. Another female and an unknown but believed to be a male. How long do I have to quarantine them before introducing them all together? If I keep the balance of males and females, I am ok right? It is just if I have more males that there can be an issue?

Thanks, Dee

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
They say quarantine should be three months at the very least, longer is better.

As for male to female ratio, once you have more than one male, there should be MORE females then males.

;~) Kelly

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
The minimum is 90 days (3 months), but alot will recommend 6months or higher.

Housing males together can be an issue, however i know plenty of people that have kept more than 3 males together in one enclosure, and some of the males are from other breeders.
So theyve all been quarentined.

You can try the males together, see how they getalong if there is no fighting or arguing after a certyain about of time then your fine.
if they start arguing and ramming and biting you should seperate

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Have the two new ones been placed together by the rescue or did they come together from one person? Or are they from seperate places and are still being housed seperate? Are they coming with more information then the last ones?

With your first ones you don't know anything about their past care or housing. For all you know perhaps they have been in with other species, like let's say a Greek tortoise. They may be carrying something that will take sometime to show up, like the Herpes virus thing. That is why I go for a year.

I know it's hard to do, but think about it. Think about what you might be risking. Most people will even recommend you not hibernate your tortoise for the first year you have him. It's the same basic reasoning you just can't be sure of the health.

You still have your first pair and if they are big enough, you may have breeding attempted. Who knows, this may also be a pair and doing the samething. If not, they won't be hurt by taking an extra year off to get them healthy (not just on the outside, but the inside too) and gaining weight (size to be ready for breeding).

Believe me I know what a pain it is. I have my two breeding groups of Russians, plus two more Russians in isolation. This time of year it's starts getting crowded in the house what with the outside turtle/torts all coming in, the outside cats thinking their little footies are getting cold and they want the warmth of the house, and then there are those major holidays coming and everybody thinks there should be a table to eat on and chairs and couches to sit on (dang there goes the plan to get rid of those things and add more cage room:rolleyes:).

I was lucky, I just got in an animal that already went thru his isolation at somebody's home who I know would do isolation right. This meant I could take the chance and just put him in with the group he belongs with.

I have my female Bells who I have waited years for. I so want to just put her in with the male. He's pen is set up with room for her, she seems healthy, came from a tort person who carried for her right, she's a long term captive.....all good reasons to just do it. However, I am not. She is in isolation. It will be a long long year.

There is no set in stone time. It's a matter of looking at what the new tort is coming with and from. It's weighing all the factors and costs. The longer the time, the better. I think the minimum of three months is wayyyy too short, the shortest I would go with is 6 months, a year is better.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I am not as concerned about the quarantine time now as I am the male/female ratio. I don't want any fighting. I have asked the person if they would just let me have the female but he is trying to do both at the same time. I told him to keep me in mind. I figure if I can get a female soon, then by the time summer rolls around and it gets warm enough, I should be able to put them together outside.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If they are both sets housed in different environments you would be ok. You could get the pair now and then just have the lone female or females to find.

They aren't sure this second one is a male right, so maybe you'll get lucky and get another female. Sexing Russians tends to not always be accurate. Look in this site alone how many have not been the sex they were believed to be.

As has been said in another post, some males will get along, even when in an equally balanced female/male ratio. Some won't harrass the females too much. Sometimes it's just for a limited breeding period. It depends on the individual males and the way the environment is set up for them. Going into it with knowing what to look for and knowing you may have to seperate them, will aid you in not letting any animal get harmed.

I say go for it. I think you would give them a good home. Your prepared for the worse to happen (and that usually never does). You'll never know until you give it a whirl. If at some point it doesn't work for you, then you can always rehome one or more of them. Meanwhile, they would be getting good care from you.

Your timetable is workable and your plan for another female is too.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was just reading another post and had a duh moment. We are all so use to thinking about the male dominance factor and their aggression toward other males and females we forget a simple basic fact. The females can also have this same problem. It's just something you need to watch for with any combination at any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.