Question about a Astrochelys radiata. high yellow??

Tim77

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands (EU)
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a Astrochelys radiata young from 2015 95gr. The guy i'm buying it from sells it as a high yellow but i'm not sure about it..

So my question is: is this a high yellow Astrochelys radiata or is he just some what more yellow than normal? and what can i expect when he is growing out? more yellow lines or will he be getting darker when aging..

Thank you already!!

Astrochelys radiata 1.jpg Astrochelys radiata 2.jpg Astrochelys radiata 3.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Buyer beware, from a photographer's standpoint the white balance is off on all of those photos. He may not be as yellow in the daylight.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Buyer beware, from a photographer's standpoint the white balance is off on all of those photos. He may not be as yellow in the daylight.

That's an interesting answer. It brings to light (haha) a good question.

Often I hear what I think is high yellow not so much talking about the color itself, but how many radiating lines there are.

I agree there are many tortoises with much that is not the black part (lots or radiating lines) but the color itself is not so yellow.

Tim77

5 Year Member
Netherlands (EU)
Yes it is very yellow on photo's, probably way to yellow than in reallife! but overall the look of this one, is it a high yellow or just a pretty looking radiata?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
That's an interesting answer. It brings to light (haha) a good question.

Often I hear what I think is high yellow not so much talking about the color itself, but how many radiating lines there are.

I agree there are many tortoises with much that is not the black part (lots or radiating lines) but the color itself is not so yellow.

I know nothing of what makes a tortoise "high yellow" - I just know how to recognize a color temperature that doesn't look right since I spend all day trying to make portrait of people look somewhere between "Frozen blue skin" and "Trump Orange" - I just wanted to throw that out there for the untrained eye.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Very young animal, shows thick banding but I think the black will spread more, I would not put this in the high yellow category, does have some good color but there would be no way to know th4e blood line if it would prove out as yellow. Here in the US, there is a better track record on blood lines carrying yellow color. The majority of the Rads produced in the US are not high Yellow. They are more dark then not. There are some people that have recently cultivated some very yellow stock. Not even all of my rads are high yellow. I do have 4 very yellow animals and some nothing spectacular

Tim77

5 Year Member
Netherlands (EU)
Thanks guy's for the help! i think i'm going to skip this radiata, just to expensive for a non high yellow..

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
Wow Evan, that rad has such a smooth shell-aside from the obvious amazing marks and features.

Tim, I will give you advice that has been given to me and I feel it holds true. If you feel the animal is worth it, then it is. If you don't, then it's not the right animal for you. It's a nice rad with nice markings. It has the potential but that potential may not be realized. As Evan said, the bloodlines are unknown. It's hard to project. We have notable breeders in the US that are as familiar with their bloodlines as you could imagine and they will admit that it's educated projections based off of experience.

In this situation I would look at the rad for what it is now, even if it's and investment you can only count on the sure thing which is what it looks like this moment.

Handsome tort and I wish you luck on a tough decision.

Last edited:

Tim77

5 Year Member
Netherlands (EU)
@8james8 Thanks for your advice! But i'm definitely not going for this rad.. It's a beautiful one but there are just to many issues for me ( to expensieve and non background story )

Thanks all for the help!!