Question about a red foot that is living in my yard?!?

tina pacheco

Location (City and/or State)
miami
When I moved into this house in 2018 I knew the guy that lived here before me was a hepetp;pgist and kept turtles.
he build a low wall around the side of the house that enclosed a nice portion of the side yard. there are plenty of bushes and small trees and shrubs back there.
anyways all this to say that this past year I have seen this turtle there occasionally. My handiman says he's been seeing it since we moved in.
Now know where the turtle lives most of the time. Under the Shad of this one bush in the corner of the area. I've taken a few pictures and im told it is a
red footed tortoise. I believe it either hatched after the old homeowner left or was left behind. I believe he hatched afterward though because he looks about 3 years old.
My question is ;what do I do now? I live in Miami and this tortoise (I named him Squanto because he is the last of his tribe.) seemed to be surviving fine with out my help.
I guess I wonder, is he fine? or is he barely making it?
I where he lives mangos fall back there to munch on and I have a lot of green yummy plants to munch on. And I have banana trees that dont fruit, but def drop their leaves. also there are hibiscus bushes etc etc. I worry that the state of his shell looks a little off. but I have no idea. I would take him to vet but I see him so rarely.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thank you
Tina

Attachments

• IMG_3677.jpeg
    IMG_3677.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 151

tina pacheco

miami
Wow, he looks pretty good for being on his own.
If it were me, I would give a water source if there isn't one and try to get more of the foods he should have in there. Maybe a nice hide for bad weather.
See what others recommend
thank you so much for your help. I get such a little thrill when I see him out there sometimes, and I am starting to feel responsible especially since I found out he is not native to here. Until yesterday I though it was an eastern box turtle. Anyways his whole life is my side yard he cant get out. so yes I have a large terracota pot tray that is filled with water that gets mucky sometimes. But I should make sure he has clean fresh water too. I worry he may have something wrong with his shell because I see white spots or flaking I cant tell. I worry it might be shell rot, but I spoke to an exotic vet today and they said to bring him in to make sure he's alright. so I def need to grab him and take him next time he makes an appearance. poor thing

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Interesting, he certainly has access to food, but I would be concerned about predators.
The local cats, rodents, opossums & even occasionally peacocks roaming might be hazardous to him.

tina pacheco

miami
thank you so much for your help. I get such a little thrill when I see him out there sometimes, and I am starting to feel responsible especially since I found out he is not native to here. Until yesterday I though it was an eastern box turtle. Anyways his whole life is my side yard he cant get out. so yes I have a large terracota pot tray that is filled with water that gets mucky sometimes. But I should make sure he has clean fresh water too. I worry he may have something wrong with his shell because I see white spots or flaking I cant tell. I worry it might be shell rot, but I spoke to an exotic vet today and they said to bring him in to make sure he's alright. so I def need to grab him and take him next time he makes an appearance. poor thing
Here are two more images. I ma little worried about these discolorations on the shell, Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_3693.jpeg
    IMG_3693.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3692.jpeg
    IMG_3692.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 129

tina pacheco

miami
Interesting, he certainly has access to food, but I would be concerned about predators.
The local cats, rodents, opossums & even occasionally peacocks roaming might be hazardous to him.
None of them can really get into my side yard. I think he's also very good at hiding

Relic

Here
It strikes me the lengths we will go to to provide the optimal environment and the very best in nutritional offerings - and here's a fellow just making it own his own without human assistance. It does appear his carapace has some issues (that white does not appear to be marbling, but something else...) but, by George, he has survived! I think with all the advice you will receive from other redfoot keepers, and studying the care sheets for that species here, you will be able to make his home perfect. Congratulations - you're living the dream!

tina pacheco

miami
It strikes me the lengths we will go to to provide the optimal environment and the very best in nutritional offerings - and here's a fellow just making it own his own without human assistance. It does appear his carapace has some issues (that white does not appear to be marbling, but something else...) but, by George, he has survived! I think with all the advice you will receive from other redfoot keepers, and studying the care sheets for that species here, you will be able to make his home perfect. Congratulations - you're living the dream!
I should get him help for his shell though. when I see him again ill have to catch him and take him to the vet just to make sure he's ok

tina pacheco

miami
I should get him help for his shell though. when I see him again ill have to catch him and take him to the vet just to make sure he's ok
Also I live in Miami and its very hot and humid here, just what they like! and I have all the things they feed on right here in my yard.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
chewed on by rodents! is that a possibilty? jeez
At night.

Any time the ground temperature gets too low to maintain mental arousal/alertness.

ETA: if her burrow is standing mud/water, then that may be some kind of rot...

tina pacheco

miami
At night.

Any time the ground temperature gets too low to maintain mental arousal/alertness.

ETA: if her burrow is standing mud/water, then that may be some kind of rot...
ok well the temp here is always super hot. but yea maybe rot, in which case a vet could maybe help.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
ok well the temp here is always super hot. but yea maybe rot, in which case a vet could maybe help.
You need a good look at the bottom shell (plastron)...there may be more affordable (and less stressful) ways to deal with rot, so post some pics when you can.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It would be best if you can get us more pics of the bottom shell as stated. A vet visit could be more dangerous than helpful. So many of them have no idea how to treat a tortoise. With more pics and the info of the area he sleeps, if wet and muddy we might be able to help better.
Shell rot is usually on the bottom shell.
This looks more like rubbing then rot or chewing.
I would hold off on a vet visit.

cooky_luvs

10 Year Member!
Garland, Texas
Yeah that shell doesn’t look too good. Bottom portion looks kind of like shell rot and the upper portions looks like rubbing/ scraping. Looks like he could definitely use some TLC but considering his situation he looks pretty good!