question about a Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
hey, i'm here with my friend who just joined (SulcataSarah) and she has a question but doesn't want to wait for the 5post waiting period. She wants to know how to tell if her Sulcata is male or female. She thinks that he is male but isn't sure and would like a more experienced opinion. What are the criteria for telling male and female in Sulcatas?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
How big is the sulcata? and there are several factors that come into play when trying to determine the sex. Pictures always help..

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
she needs to post pictures of the tail area and underside. We can guess, but if its under 5 years its just a guess... and then some!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Its hard to tell when they are young, once they are around 5 years old or are bigger then we can give you a 100%
answer...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, the sooner she gets those 5 posts under her belt, the sooner she can ask her own questions! :p And, no, this one doesn't count!!!

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
lol i know that this one didn't count for her, i'm sure that she's happy to know that though seeing as her Sulcata is perhaps 2 years old at most. She posted a picture on her introduction post of her tortoise which she temporarily named piggy. She thought that it was a boy but she started to doubt it when i commented that piggy had the same tail that a female russian tort would have lol :)

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
At two years old there's no way you'd be able to tell. The easiest way to tell once they get older/bigger is the female will have a flat underside of the shell and the males will be concave. But for now too early.

SulcataSarah

5 Year Member
Hello, thanks for posting the question for me Mira.
Piggy started with a wide opening of the shells beneath the tail and a concaved underbelly when i got him. (he was almost a year at the time i think). but now piggy has flattened out his belly and his tail is near nonexistant, so tiny lol. and he's kind of rounded out on top more than he has in width =/

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
SulcataSarah said:
Hello, thanks for posting the question for me Mira.

Congrats, now you have your five posts in and will not have to wait for a Mod to come along and approve them! :D

SulcataSarah

5 Year Member
Well Piggy does hate the color blue... but on the other hand he obsesses for the color white... =/

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
SulcataSarah said:
Well Piggy does hate the color blue... but on the other hand he obsesses for the color white... =/

Do you put out cuttle bone for him/here? Sometimes when they are looking for white they are looking for calcium and cuttle bone is my favorite way for my sulcatas to get it. They eat at it when they want and leave it alone the rest of the time. Just a thought.

Welcome!

SulcataSarah

5 Year Member
yup, he used to have two in there, but he dragged one into the water dish lol so now theres about half of a full one left in his pen.

SulcataSarah

5 Year Member
i noticed something this morning that seemed odd, piggys always been a bit of a scaredy cat but this morning when i went to feed him it was really bad. he'd move and his nails would make a sound on the rock, or hed move some of the substrate and hed just squeak and shrink right back into his shell so fast and hide there for a moment, or hed squeak and bolt off like something had tried to attack him or something. is it normal for them to have random moments of freaking out? after about twenty minutes he wasn't so bad.

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
You may have just caught him off guard. Sometimes I startle even a big one and they stay in for a few minutes - and they really have nothing to be afraid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.