Question about bulb burn in time

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
There is no way a couple of florescent tubes and a 65 watt basking bulb will be too bright for a russian. That is still only a fraction as bright as the sun. And your UV levels are very low right now so no danger from that. I know you'll be checking UV levels when the new bulb arrives and I think the combo will put you in your desired range of a UV index of 2-3.
Ok, and you think the HO 5.0 will be enough for the box turtle? I do have a 24 inch T8 bulb that I can add to the box turtle enclosure if needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, and you think the HO 5.0 will be enough for the box turtle? I do have a 24 inch T8 bulb that I can add to the box turtle enclosure if needed.

I would not keep a box turtle as brightly lit as a russian. Box turtles also likely get D3 from their food like most other meat eaters and omnivores, so UV levels, as far as I know, are not as critical for them. So yes, I think the 5.0 will be just fine for the boxie, especially in a well planted enclosure with lots of hiding spots. I think it would be nice to add some more light for winter, given that he can hide from it if he chooses. Maybe put the extra light on one side and then watch to see if he seems to avoid it or seek it out at times.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
overexpose to too much overall light

There is no way a couple of florescent tubes and a 65 watt basking bulb will be too bright for a russian

You will see the affects of too much overall constant light, keep an eye open during the initial set up. The suggestion is just that....again, no tortoise remains out in bright light all day, period...;)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You will see the affects of too much overall constant light, keep an eye open during the initial set up. The suggestion is just that....again, no tortoise remains out in bright light all day, period...;)
What r the affects? How will I know if there is a problem?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...again, no tortoise remains out in bright light all day, period...;)

No they don't. You are right. They move in and out of the bright sun at will, just as her turtle and tortoise will be able to in her well planted enclosures with several hiding spots. But the sun is actually up and very bright each day, so I think it is a good idea to simulate that, especially on animals that would normally want to hibernate, but are being kept up.

So while they don't sit in full bright sun all day in the wild, they have the options to do so for roughly 12 hours a day.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You may see the tortoise appear restless, not in the strolling around kind of way but more like the tort lost his keys (the human version here), you may see eyes a little puffy accompanied by some rubbing....you may notice that the tortoise is trying to remain in hiding alot.....eating may be affected along with the lack of desire to bask for warmth....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They move in and out of the bright sun at will, just as her turtle and tortoise will be able to in her well planted enclosures with several hiding spots.

Yes, I also read this Tom....this was the reason I said what I did.....you all have a great day now.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I will get it figured out I got the new stuff ordered. I will post pictures and ask for comments when they are done. Thanks a lot for all your advice.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
@Tom just for giggles I measured The UV index on my brand-new 24 inch bulbs, one was a zilla 5.0 and the other one was a zoomed 10.0. At around 6-8 inches the readings were 1.0 and 1.3 respectively. Now I know why people put these bulbs so close to their tortoises. I do wish I would've had this meter last year when I had my new MVB. I think I will keep the shorter tubes for my temporary "rescue bin" which is what they were originally for anyway.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom just for giggles I measured The UV index on my brand-new 24 inch bulbs, one was a zilla 5.0 and the other one was a zoomed 10.0. At around 6-8 inches the readings were 1.0 and 1.3 respectively. Now I know why people put these bulbs so close to their tortoises. I do wish I would've had this meter last year when I had my new MVB. I think I will keep the shorter tubes for my temporary "rescue bin" which is what they were originally for anyway.

Test your old MVB. I don't think they need to be replaced as often as the mfgr. says. I have one that is four years old giving me readings of 7.1 at 14" through a screen top!!!

Not talking to you leigti, but again, THIS is why I keep harping on people to get a meter and test those bulbs. You might be wasting money on new bulbs that you don't need, or you might not be providing enough UV for your indoor-all-winter tortoises. It NEEDS to be checked and adjusted accordingly.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Actually I don't have the old bulb anymore I dropped it :-( they seem not to work too good after that. I would love to push the fact that people need to get a meter, but who's going to listen to a relative newbie? I do not have the experience and knowledge of tortoise care like so many other people on this forum do. All I know is the readings I am getting.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Test your old MVB. I don't think they need to be replaced as often as the mfgr. says. I have one that is four years old giving me readings of 7.1 at 14" through a screen top!!!

Not talking to you leigti, but again, THIS is why I keep harping on people to get a meter and test those bulbs. You might be wasting money on new bulbs that you don't need, or you might not be providing enough UV for your indoor-all-winter tortoises. It NEEDS to be checked and adjusted accordingly.
At 7.1 but you were afraid you're cooking your tortoise? I'm assuming you just moved the bulb up. What readings do you usually go for, specifically for Russians and box turtles.