Question about CHE and RPH

CurtB

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA
So I have a major question about Radiated heating panels as well as Radiated heating pads.

So I recently bought this tortoise home on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GS8VCL/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Its dimensions are 15" x 18" x 10" and I bought it with the intent of building my tortoise an outdoor home/enclosure coming spring/summer. After some digging, I found that some tortoise owners use radiated heating panels as well as radiated heating pads inside their build tortoise homes. My question is, would anyone happen to know what type of radiated panel I should get in terms of wattage to place inside my tortoise home?

I checked this website out because that's where everyone seems to be getting their panels but, they seem limited in stock: So, I went to check this other website: I'm unsure about the credibility of the website so I was hoping to get some input from you guys.

My other question is, in terms of radiated heating pads, when placing them inside the tortoise home, should be right below my tortoise's substrate? or does it have to be installed underneath the wood? I was unsure about whether or not my tortoise can just lay on the padding or not without harming her. Based on the dimensions above, I was thinking about getting this heating pad from TortoiseSupply

Specifically the 8" x 8" size. Is that substantial enough or does it need to be bigger or smaller? I'm assuming that the size is suitable enough because it gives her enough room to go from hot to cold but then again, any input would be great!

I live in Northern California and it has been pretty cold as of late, if the location has anything to do with anything

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So I have a major question about Radiated heating panels as well as Radiated heating pads.

So I recently bought this tortoise home on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GS8VCL/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Its dimensions are 15" x 18" x 10" and I bought it with the intent of building my tortoise an outdoor home/enclosure coming spring/summer. After some digging, I found that some tortoise owners use radiated heating panels as well as radiated heating pads inside their build tortoise homes. My question is, would anyone happen to know what type of radiated panel I should get in terms of wattage to place inside my tortoise home?

I checked this website out because that's where everyone seems to be getting their panels but, they seem limited in stock: So, I went to check this other website: I'm unsure about the credibility of the website so I was hoping to get some input from you guys.

My other question is, in terms of radiated heating pads, when placing them inside the tortoise home, should be right below my tortoise's substrate? or does it have to be installed underneath the wood? I was unsure about whether or not my tortoise can just lay on the padding or not without harming her. Based on the dimensions above, I was thinking about getting this heating pad from TortoiseSupply

Specifically the 8" x 8" size. Is that substantial enough or does it need to be bigger or smaller? I'm assuming that the size is suitable enough because it gives her enough room to go from hot to cold but then again, any input would be great!

I live in Northern California and it has been pretty cold as of late, if the location has anything to do with anything

Greetings, Regarding your question here. ➡ My other question is, in terms of radiated heating pads, when placing them inside the tortoise home, should be right below my tortoise's substrate? or does it have to be installed underneath the wood? I was unsure about whether or not my tortoise can just lay on the padding or not without harming her. Based on the dimensions above, I was thinking about getting this heating pad from TortoiseSupply

✅ Your RHP should preferably be mounted to the inside roof area of your enclosure or, along the inside side, but NEVER underneath. These panels are meant to slowly and evenly distribute heat out & down. You want to connect it up via a thermostat with a temperature probe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

None of that is going to work.

The house is too small, the door too big, its not insulated or sealed, and not enough floor space to use the correct heating elements.

The smallest RHP you can buy is 12x12. That will fit inside, but the tortoise won't be able to get out from under it when it wants to. And there would not be enough room to mount a box to contain your thermostat, light timer, cords, etc...

The smallest Kane mats are 18x18, so they won't fit, and also, the tortoise can't get off of it in such a small house.

The heat mats you linked should never be used with tortoises because they aren't safe. I won't use them with any reptile.

The minimum and most practical size box to build based on lumber sizes would be 24x48" and about 20 inches tall inside. Basically, it would be half of this box:
IMG_7256.JPG

Or half of this one:

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
None of that is going to work.

The house is too small, the door too big, its not insulated or sealed, and not enough floor space to use the correct heating elements.

The smallest RHP you can buy is 12x12. That will fit inside, but the tortoise won't be able to get out from under it when it wants to. And there would not be enough room to mount a box to contain your thermostat, light timer, cords, etc...

The smallest Kane mats are 18x18, so they won't fit, and also, the tortoise can't get off of it in such a small house.

The heat mats you linked should never be used with tortoises because they aren't safe. I won't use them with any reptile.

The minimum and most practical size box to build based on lumber sizes would be 24x48" and about 20 inches tall inside. Basically, it would be half of this box:
View attachment 310822

Or half of this one:
Those lamps dont mess up bed time if they switch on and off at night? I assume they are not on a day night timer since it’s not needed outdoors

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those lamps dont mess up bed time if they switch on and off at night? I assume they are not on a day night timer since it’s not needed outdoors
Those lamps are on timers and only used in early spring and late fall when days are getting colder and I'm not ready to put them down for the winter. In early spring I use the bulbs to make sure they have a place to warm up when the spring weather isn't cooperating.

Ambient heat in this box is controlled by the radiant oil heater in the back. The lamps are just for day time basking on a cold overcast day.

CurtB

San Jose, CA
Those lamps are on timers and only used in early spring and late fall when days are getting colder and I'm not ready to put them down for the winter. In early spring I use the bulbs to make sure they have a place to warm up when the spring weather isn't cooperating.

Ambient heat in this box is controlled by the radiant oil heater in the back. The lamps are just for day time basking on a cold overcast day.

If I were to have my tortoise outside for just a couple of hours every week rather than using any of the items I recommended (heat pad & heat panel) would installing a 60w ceramic heat emitter on the roof of the tortoise house with a thermal regulating switch/thermostat work just for her to warm up if she gets cold walking around her substrate or would I have to commit to upgrading to a 24" x 48" house? Currently, my 2 year old marginated tortoise is about 6 inches

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I were to have my tortoise outside for just a couple of hours every week rather than using any of the items I recommended (heat pad & heat panel) would installing a 60w ceramic heat emitter on the roof of the tortoise house with a thermal regulating switch/thermostat work just for her to warm up if she gets cold walking around her substrate or would I have to commit to upgrading to a 24" x 48" house? Currently, my 2 year old marginated tortoise is about 6 inches
There is not room to safely use a CHE at only 10" high. You could mount an RHP on top with a thermostat, but why not just leave the tortoise in its warm indoor enclosure if the weather is so cold that it will need to be in its house? I put them outside when we get our warm sunny winter spells when the temps are right. If temps are too cold and the tortoise needs a heated house, then I just leave them inside, or I make a proper heated house like the one in the picture, and leave them outside full time.