Question about heavy breathing tort while being picked up

Dorrie Siu

I've had Dorrie for almost two weeks now and my friend liked her so much she adopted a Russian for herself a week later.

We were chatting about our new babies and within the discussion I was talking about how Dorrie and I always are out and about in the yard, how I pretty much have her with me around the house if I'm not at work, her bathing times and how she likes it when I rub her head, under her chin as well as her legs and feet. I also mentioned how she will sleep on my lap in her little blanket while I'm working on the computer.

So I asked if she spends fun time with hers. She told me that he is a digger, that all he does is dig a hole in the substrate and sleeps all day. I asked her if she ever takes him out. She says that in about six weeks she is going to move his cage onto the back patio so he can get sun. She said she tries to pick him up to play with him but every time all he does is pull into his shell and breathes really heavy like he's mad so she puts him back down. At that moment he will go back into his hole and stay there.

Is this because he's not socialized? Do they do this when they are upset or could there be something wrong with him? She did not mention bubbles or anything.

Oh I forgot to add that the weather here is near the 70's. Right now at 430pm it's 69 degrees, which is why I am able bring Dorrie out so much. She has not taken hers out yet and doesn't plan to for another 6 weeks. Do you think he might be depressed from lack of sun?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When a tortoise quickly pulls his arms, head and legs into his shell it makes the air in his lungs rush out. Some people refer to this as hissing.

Most tortoises require a getting-used-to-the-new environment period. It might last a couple days, it might last a couple months. The more contact she has with the tortoise, the shorter the adjustment period.

Dorrie Siu

Thanks for the response Yvonne! Would the rushing of air sound more like huffing and puffing? Because it's not one large whoosh or air coming out, it's more like a panting, like how a dog pants. But the mouth is closed.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
I would think (however i still have not gotten my russian and im no expert at all) that if he is only doing that when your friend picks him up that it is what Yvonne is talking about and nothing to worry about. maybe u could get your friend to take a video of it and post it on here? or have her join the forum and give us some more details. but i think a video of what exactly this sound is would help the experienced russian keepers tell u guys whats going on.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
He is not happy....................My tortoise do that all the time at first, then he get us to it, then they don't do that so often.

I call that hissing too.

macky9326

Scotland
Toby (my russian) done this for about 7 weeks after I got him so just give them plenty of time and space to get used to you :)

mollydee

My leopard did this when we first got her . It's exactly like panting - head kinds bobs up and down & neck puffs up - like how a person would be if they were out of breathe . I attributed it as nerves & like I said as she got comfortable she did it less & less .

Dorrie Siu

She has a problem sending me pics and vids from her phone so it would be difficult for me to post it here. I guess this makes sense, that he would get used to her over time. I guess I'm so naive about it because Dorrie never did that at all. Maybe it's because I handle her so much. She is always with me if I'm not working.

Thank you everyone!