Question about Marginated Tortoise Enclosure Setup (heating, lighting, etc.)

Joey B.

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
Hi everyone,

Soon to be a new Marginated tortoise owner this week (Thursday!) and I’m stressing out over his setup.

I know so many people say to not use aquariums & most use some variation of a Rubbermaid tub, but I really wanted to be able to see him at eye level so I ended up purchasing one of those 24x18x12 Exo-Terra terrariums. I don’t expect it to last forever but I figured it would be ok to start him in, he’s a tiny little thing, about 2”. I plan on covering the sides so he’ll only be able to see out the front and I might block some of that so he can’t see out.

Anyway, I’m second guessing everything about hearing and lighting. Can someone take a look at this and the dimensions and give me some advice about what would work best? I can’t decide if I should use the tube UVB light and a heating bulb or just a mercury vapor bulb, or even one of those combo units where there are 2 bulbs in one. The room he’ll be in is usually around 75 but it dips down to around 68 at night. I’m assuming that’s too cool for a youngster so should I get a secondary (maybe not as strong) heating source to use at night? Also, this thing is short (about 12”). If I put the lights right on the screen will that be too close or will he overheat? Would using a lesser bulb print that?

Sorry if these are obvious questions. I’ve been planning and researching and thought I was ready, placed an order and I still have so much to do before he gets here.

Also, two other questions… Can anyone give some insight on growth rates for a Marginated? Just wondering if everything is correct and he’s fed well what I can look forward to in a year or two. Also, I was purchasing some of the Mazuri tortoise diets on Amazon (just to occasionally add with his greens) and I see two different kinds. One says LS and one doesn’t. Is one better?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I truly do appreciate it.

Joey

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 12.20.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 12.20.22 AM.png
    260.1 KB · Views: 12

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi everyone,

Soon to be a new Marginated tortoise owner this week (Thursday!) and I’m stressing out over his setup.

I know so many people say to not use aquariums & most use some variation of a Rubbermaid tub, but I really wanted to be able to see him at eye level so I ended up purchasing one of those 24x18x12 Exo-Terra terrariums. I don’t expect it to last forever but I figured it would be ok to start him in, he’s a tiny little thing, about 2”. I plan on covering the sides so he’ll only be able to see out the front and I might block some of that so he can’t see out.

Anyway, I’m second guessing everything about hearing and lighting. Can someone take a look at this and the dimensions and give me some advice about what would work best? I can’t decide if I should use the tube UVB light and a heating bulb or just a mercury vapor bulb, or even one of those combo units where there are 2 bulbs in one. The room he’ll be in is usually around 75 but it dips down to around 68 at night. I’m assuming that’s too cool for a youngster so should I get a secondary (maybe not as strong) heating source to use at night? Also, this thing is short (about 12”). If I put the lights right on the screen will that be too close or will he overheat? Would using a lesser bulb print that?

Sorry if these are obvious questions. I’ve been planning and researching and thought I was ready, placed an order and I still have so much to do before he gets here.

Also, two other questions… Can anyone give some insight on growth rates for a Marginated? Just wondering if everything is correct and he’s fed well what I can look forward to in a year or two. Also, I was purchasing some of the Mazuri tortoise diets on Amazon (just to occasionally add with his greens) and I see two different kinds. One says LS and one doesn’t. Is one better?

Thanks in advance for any insight. I truly do appreciate it.

Joey
Hi Joey, and welcome to the forum!

Here's the first place to start..
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/98564/

It's our marginated tortoise care sheet.

I have never kept a marginated, and have not read the care sheet, so I'm going to mention a couple things that apply to most tortoises. If the care sheet (written by an expert who is on this forum) says anything different than me, go by the care sheet.

Most tort babies need high humidity to thrive, keep their kidneys healthy, and prevent pyramiding. It will be impossible for you to maintain >80% humidity in an open top enclosure. You will need a "closed chamber" to keep the moisture in. Search the forum...you will find many threads on this.

Also, your uvb light should be a strip fluorescent type. It must go under your screen, as screen, glass, most anything blocks uvb. A MVB (merc vapor bulb) has been known to cause pyramiding no matter how high the humidity.

I don't know how fast this species grows, but your terrarium won't last long. Torts must get exercise in order to poop. In the wild they walk great distances, so need a chamber of good size.

If I was you, I would return the terrarium and work on a more appropriate enclosure. I know they are not inexpensive, so get your money back and use a bin for the time being.

Get a good digital thermometer/hygrometer at Lowe's or Home Depot. You will need it. Another good item to have is a temp gun. Aim it wherever and it gives an instant reading.

You will need a heat source for day and night. Most tort babies need no lower than 80 deg at all times. You will have trouble maintaining that temp with a screen top. You can probably use a flood lamp by day, but will need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) at night. They give off heat but no light.

He needs a place to hide, maybe a flower pot turned on its side and partly buried in substrate.

Most torts seem to like the regular Mazuri better than the LS.

Someone with marginated experience will jump in here and advise you. Read the care sheet carefully and follow it, and your new baby will do well.

May I ask where you are getting him from?