Question about my little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Hi tortoise friends,

once again i am back because i have a question about my little guy. I have noticed over the last week my tortoise has been sleeping a lot. He hasn't eaten everything i put in front of him (but i have started to feed him everyday instead of every other day) and today i woke him up and noticed little bubbles in his nose and i believe there might be some in his eyes too. He looks normal but I'm starting to get worried.
The only thing i have done differently is last week i fed him some tomatoes i grew in my horticulture garden at work and over the last 2 months he has been staying on my screened in balcony 24/7. i live in florida and it has been warm.
our weather changed this past weekend because of the tropical storm but i brought him inside during the storm...

any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciative. i can post pictures if i need too... but bubbles would be hard to see.

Thanks,
Mallorie

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
When you say he has been staying on your screened in balcony? What type of substrate is he on while on your balcony? Is he on that balcony in the night? Do you have a heating element if he is out at night? Are the bubbles clear?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sounds like classic symptoms of an upper respiratory infection. This is caused over a period of time in which the temperature fluctuates too much in variance. Usually 20 degrees. Keep him inside at a constant 80-85 degree minimum for a few weeks and soak him every day. Constant heat will rid of it. Stick with putting him outside all day and night when night time temps are at least 80.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
yes the bubbles are clear. and my balcony has an enclosure for him. the substrate is a dirt, sand, bark mixture with rocks and dried grass sods. I dont have a heat lamp for him outside because i was told as long as the weather stays above 68 he'll be ok without one at night. And yes he stays on the balcony all night.

tortadise said:
Sounds like classic symptoms of an upper respiratory infection. This is caused over a period of time in which the temperature fluctuates too much in variance. Usually 20 degrees. Keep him inside at a constant 80-85 degree minimum for a few weeks and soak him every day. Constant heat will rid of it. Stick with putting him outside all day and night when night time temps are at least 80.

Thanks Tortaise! I'll do just that. So i guess i need to reconnect his night lamp for a few weeks. Thanks for the tip!

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
thats how my mordy was when i got him, he had a bad URI. keep him very warm day and night, and make sure his soaks are with warm water. if hes not eating id be relentless in getting something in him because it can only get worse. try baby food soaks so he can get some vitamins in him. if he gets worse and you hear clicking noises, take him to the vet. theyd be able to give you antibiotics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
... and THIS is why I say not to leave little ones outside at night with no heat. 68 is too cold for a baby, in damp conditions especially.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Hey Guys,
So i think he's getting worse. I've had him inside with lamps on 24/7. he's been eating but i'm starting to hear those little clicking noises and squeaks. Will the warm soaks and lights be enough or do i need to think about finding a vet? I called a couple today, i just don't wanna take him to the vet and transport him in a car and everything if i don't need too.

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
id go to the vet. thats a URI. thats how my little guy was. the vet will give you antibiotics. just upp the heat more, and do babyfood soaks because im guessing hes not eating much. after 3 shots of the anitibiotic, youll see him improve.

quote='MalKC' pid='461440' dateline='1338573802']
Hey Guys,
So i think he's getting worse. I've had him inside with lamps on 24/7. he's been eating but i'm starting to hear those little clicking noises and squeaks. Will the warm soaks and lights be enough or do i need to think about finding a vet? I called a couple today, i just don't wanna take him to the vet and transport him in a car and everything if i don't need too.
[/quote]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Keep him 85-90 24/7. Give him a basking spot of 100+ for 12 hours a day. You'll need to use a CHE for night time to maintain the warm temps because they need it dark. A sick tortoise needs his rest and they don't rest well if the sun is up 24 hours a day.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Thanks guys for your advice. i took him to the vet and the little guy was more active on the drive there and while in the doctors office then i've seen him in weeks.
I'm pretty sure the doctor lied about being familiar with tortoises because when i got there he seemed pretty clueless. He stuck a tongue compressor in Cedar's face and was annoyed with he couldn't get his mouth open. of course cedar stuck his head in his shell as fast as he could. oh well, it was pretty funny.
he gave us some antibiotics. I'm suppose to give it to him once a day for 7 days. it's going to be a fun challenge to try to get liquid medicine in his mouth. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Antibiotic liquid? Impossible.

Vaccine is the sensible way to do it... Straight into the muscle on a back leg with a fine syringe.

The vet nurse showed me how and I did it myself.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Antibiotics come in liquid form, pill and INJECTION. ( not vaccine) :)
If they are eating, then the liquid form can easiliy be hidden in a bit of food.. this is also easier if they are larger.
I had to give mine pills. I hid them in bananas and strawberries.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
The stuff they gave me is a pink liquid. The vet showed me how to open my torts mouth and squeeze it in, but it just seemed so mean. The vet I went to didn't carry the injection. I may try hiding it in the food tomorrow, see if that works. He's eating, just not as much as he usually does and is only eating lettuce, so dunno how I'm gonna hide it in that. We shall see.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Pink.. is it Amoxi or Clavomox?

If he is only eating lettuce that might be harder to hide in.. Id do what the Vet showed you. But if it stresses him out, you risk making him more sick.. vicious circle...

Mallykc

5 Year Member
The medicine is Doxycycline. And trying to open his mouth def stresses him out. He peed and pooped on my boyfriend today when we attempted. I'm gonna stick to putting it on top of his food...

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
when i went to the vet they gave me medicine to give orally. he was so stressed out when he was in the vet. its really invasive and can stress your tort out. i opted not to give it to him by prying his mouth open, i didnt want to get him more sick. i simply raised the temperature and bought a heat mat for night time and my mordy came around quickly. of course, mine had a flare up because the vet completely mishandled him so its technically not the same as having a URI the first time. if i were you, id try to hide it in some of his food. only opt for oral feeding if its a last resort because it would really bite if he gets even more sick :/

Mallykc

5 Year Member
I've been dripping the medicine on lettuce. He's been eating everything I put on
His plate so hopefully he's getting the medicine he needs. He also now has a day and night heat lamp and is being kept indoors. I still find him in the cool side of the enclosure a lot thou. Stubborn little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.