Question about my new female pardalis babcocki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
France
SHE IS HERE !!! i'm so happy she's at home since 2 hours.
I will make a special thread to in troduce her but i haven't make photo yet because i cut the light.
Explication :
When i put her with others leo my male cames directly see her and start to push her by walking on her as a fury. I think he's hot !!!
but i want the female can arrive and stay at calm for her first hours at home.
So i would like to know if the comportement of my male means that he wants sex ? or is it other thing ?
I cut the terra to make them sleep is it a good solution ?
I did this because tomorrow when the terra will lighting on i will survey him and as he will be in "wake up" mode i think that he will be smoother to discover her.

i never see him like this before.
He never did that with the little female.

actually everybody sleeps
i will survey tomorrow.
i wish that he will be calmer than today ...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is most likely bullying for now. How many do you have? If you only have the two, you may always have trouble, as he will pester her to where she may get sick or die. You really need to keep three or more.I wouldn't put them together for 3-6 months, as you should always quarantine the new one.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
unfortunely i haven't place to keep her in quarantaine, but i know very well the seller and where does she comes from.
I have my male and a little female and the new one.
that makes 3.
i will survey tomorrow and keep you update

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think your male might simply be telling her that he's the boss. You might want to introduce them while he's eating. I think that his behavior will change very quickly. Just watch them, if he gets too rough, I might remove him for a little while, not her. It most probably is just a terratorial thing. When I put my two year olds in with my big female, she was upset, kept following them around, biting at them. The next day, she was more curious, and it was only a couple of days before they were all friends. Good luck.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm not sure it's bullying, it sounds to me like mating behavior. Males will ram into the females repeatedly and push them all over in order to subdue them which could go on for a long time before mating actually begins. This could be very stressful for the female. I would keep them separated for awhile until the female is a little more settled.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ditto. Give her some peace for a couple of days or weeks. Then try to introduce them in some neutral territory, like an outside pen that he's never been in. If you are going to keep multiple tortoises, you are going to occasionally need multiple enclosures. Time to make a new one for your male to hang out in for a while.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yes this sounds like mating behavior in my opinion. My males push the females all the time and most of the time they mount afterwards but sometimes they just push them around and then leave them alone. I would also separate the male and female and let her get situated in her new environment and then introduce the male.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
thanks everybody, i will survey tomorrow and if it's necessary i will put the male separate.
My friends has terra unitilised.
I wish he will be calmer tomorrow.
keep you update ;)

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
so he doesn't seem to be calm today so i will place him at my friend's house for 1 week and let the new female discover her new environnement at calm.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That sounds like it would be a good idea.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
update.
I let him for 1 hours with the female to see what happened, he goes walking on her and after 15min he stoped.
I let and observe, about 1 hour later, he was f*** her (sorry i haven't the exact biological term for this)
When he finish, he stay at her side and actually they are sleeping together.
Precision during he was walking on her, the female looks like calm, opened eyes, head out and didn't try to escape. I think that at her precedent home she was with male and she knows this ...
So finaly i let them together and tomorrow during i will go working, my bestfriend will come at my home to take a look a them. If there are problems he will take him at his home.
I'm a little rassured because this evenement make me stress.
I will keep you update.

Status
Not open for further replies.