question about my russian's health *edited

Jazenami

This week I have been working on upgrading my tortoise's enclosure and making him happier and healthier in general. I've had him 2.5 years and 6 months ago I switched his diet from just romaine to collards endive romaine and the occasional broccoli or carrot shavings. Here he is enjoying a soak in the sun and I wonder if he looks to be in good health to you all or not. His shell is smooth, no pyramiding. But other than that I haven't a clue.
*edit - I added more pics because I realize it's hard to tell from just one if there's anything wrong. In the back he has a couple parts of his shell that are a little clear like a finger nail at the edges. I'm wondering if this is normal or something I can fix.

Attachments

• 20140216_101540.jpg
    20140216_101540.jpg
    900.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20140216_103612_resized.jpg
    20140216_103612_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20140216_103451_resized.jpg
    20140216_103451_resized.jpg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20140216_103322_resized.jpg
    20140216_103322_resized.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 29

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The clear edges are normal.

Your tortoises diet need some improvement. Here are some suggestions:

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Do use use any supplements? What do you use for UV?

Jazenami

I don't use supplements, I was going to buy a cuttlebone soon to leave in there with him. I used to use a flora sun UV light, I just switched to reptisun 10.0. Where can I get weeds in winter in NY?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Some vitamin powder once a week can be a good thing. A tiny pinch of calcium once or twice a week won't hurt any thing either.
I hope your 10.0 is a long tube and not a coil type. The coil types sometimes burn their eyes.

You can grow your own "weeds" in pots or trays anywhere in the world. There are many seed mixes available on line. There are also other dried weed mixes that you can mix in to the grocery store greens. Like this:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay
Don't let the price scare you. That amount will last you for a year with one tortoise.

Jazenami

Tom said:
Some vitamin powder once a week can be a good thing. A tiny pinch of calcium once or twice a week won't hurt any thing either.
I hope your 10.0 is a long tube and not a coil type. The coil types sometimes burn their eyes.

You can grow your own "weeds" in pots or trays anywhere in the world. There are many seed mixes available on line. There are also other dried weed mixes that you can mix in to the grocery store greens. Like this:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/HerbalHay
Don't let the price scare you. That amount will last you for a year with one tortoise.

It is the long bulb.
I was just looking into these bagged foods I can get over the internet. Are Nopales Opuntia cuttings appropriate for russians? I bookmarked that tortoise hay and a few other pages, when I get my taxes back I'm doing a little bit of shopping..