Question about my torts shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristenlparker

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just acquired a Greek tortoise the other night. It looks perfectly healthy but for one thing, its shell. There are 3 spots towards the back, where the scutes look like there's a very hard scab like surface over them. The tort is a grey color and these spots are a light brown color. It sort of looks like peeling/flaking or something may be healed there? The rest of the shell is good looking and these spots aren't soft or anything. Did the previous owner not care for the tort correctly and will this go away with proper care? Any ideas? Can anybody tell me what kind of Greek tortoise this is as well? Thanks!

Attachments

• leonard.JPG
    leonard.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 39
  • leo.JPG
    leo.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 29

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Kristen :)

The picture is a bit fuzzy, so can't really tell whats going on. If you can put your camera on macro mode (usually a flower symbol) the picture should be clear. We might be able to tell whats going on with a better picture.
Without seeing a plastron shot, it looks like a dark Jordanian greek, Testudo graeca ssp.

Danny

kristenlparker

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yea sorry i was lazy and i just wanted to use my cell phone. i actually have a macro lens but i didn't feel like attaching it to my digital slr, so i used my crappy cell phone camera. sorry about that. ok, so i took real photos. i don't think this is a big deal, it just looks unattractive and i want to know what it is. thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2034.jpg
    IMG_2034.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2035.jpg
    IMG_2035.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2036.jpg
    IMG_2036.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 22

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thats just fine :) nothing to worry about. It's just a bit of scute material flaking off.

Danny

kristenlparker

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ok, why does it do that? it's not really like shedding right? i have 2 bearded dragons, a columbian tegu and a ball python but this looked weird. i thought maybe he had recovered from something because the home i got him from wasn't the best. what can i do to help it along besides the usual soaks and proper maintenance? this is my first tort and i want to get things right! can anyone confirm what kind of greek he is?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Danny said that he was a Jordanian Greek. In a previous post.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Sometimes scute material just does that. No it's not like shedding in a lizard or snake, but tortoises also shed their skin.
Just give the proper diet and lighting and your new Jordanian greek will be just fine. :)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.