Question about new baby redfoot tortoises

Nolan1992

Hello everyone, I've had two baby redfoots for about a week now. I live in Miami and we have had great weather lately. If I keep close supervision, is it fine for me to take them outside for about 20 minutes every day to play in the grass? They are both about 3 inches.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Outside time is always encouraged. I would make a small outdoor enclosure for them, though. A frame (think sandbox without a bottom) works well to keep them enclosed but still able to have a romp in the grass if you're there to watch them. If not supervised, I'd have a cover to go on top of the frame just in case. It's very easy to lose babies if they're left in the open.

Nolan1992

pfara said:
Outside time is always encouraged. I would make a small outdoor enclosure for them, though. A frame (think sandbox without a bottom) works well to keep them enclosed but still able to have a romp in the grass if you're there to watch them. If not supervised, I'd have a cover to go on top of the frame just in case. It's very easy to lose babies if they're left in the open.

I don't currently have a backyard but I have a nice open field where I take my russian tortoise. But I don't have a lot of experience with the babies. Butt I'll be okay as long as I watch them ?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
It's easy to take your eyes off of them. There are one too many stories of "I was <insert reason> and the next thing I knew, my tortoise was gone". I wouldn't take that risk especially in "a nice open field". Can you make a simple frame out of 2'x4' or something just to contain them? I've freaked out thinking I lost a tortoise in 2'x3' concrete mixing bin outside once, but she was just well hidden in the grass.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Don't do anything else but watch your tortoises. Take them outside as often and for as long as possible. There is nothing better for them.