Question about walnut shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznewmom

5 Year Member
Hi all.
I have a desert tort that is about three years old now.
He/she has been to the vet about three times and has been healthy. Eats well and is growing well. We live in Tucson and normally it is dry here. Rico is offered water in a shallow dish, and I try to soak him/her about once or twice a week. He does not seem to enjoy it this year, as he has in years past. He keep trying to escape. Anyone else have this happen?
That wasn't my orginal reason for being here.
We are super humid right now. I had Rico in an aquarium on alfalfa pellets until they started to change due to the humidity. I cleaned it all out and asked the gal at the pet store (independent place here in town, not a chain) what she would recommend. She recommended the crushed walnut shell as she said it would not impact like a sand could. Well, I just put it all together, put Rico back in, after his exercise time around the house, and I found him upside down, w/his head in the stuff!!! He seems okay, but I'm not sure I like this at all.
Has anyone else used this with desert tortoises?
Thanks for any insight you might have.
Stacy

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I don't think the walnut shells caused him to flip in all honesty. I don't see any benefit to using them. Coco fiber and dirt 50/50 is the best IMHO.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would replace the walnut substrate. I say because walnut trees contain a chemical that restricts plant growth near the tree (a great way to restrict competion for nutrients) that may affect animals. I would go with cypress mulch or similar product. The desert tort keepers will have more precise suggestions I'm sure.

aznewmom

5 Year Member
Thanks!
I will rebag it and take it back to the store.
The only reason I purchased it was upon her recommendation.
Guess I will be changing his enclosure out once again.
Any desert tort folks out there tonight?!?

Cheers,
Stacy

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have a desert but he is an adult who lives outside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All my desert tortoises live outside on native grass and soil. If I'm ever given a small one that has to be kept in a container, I use cypress mulch or orchid bark as the substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.