Question for Danny - humid hide & sudstrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello Danny - i was wondering if you could help?

George is my indian star (i believe you've seen her pics) she is currently in a terrarium and currently lives on rainforest/coconut bark, she seems to like it as she can bury her self into it (i actually shieved it, as worried about dust re: sticky eyes, and it produced just under a quater carrier bag a dust, I also regularly with damp kitchen towel wipe away any dust that forms on the bottom) it was sent with her by her breeder but should i at least change half her enclosure to something else?
Also i made last night a humid hide, she spent over a hour wandering around and trying to push it out from the corner but never went in, however this morning she braved it and went to sleep in it straight away. I have put damp kitchen towel on the bottom and then covered with some chips but should i do the sponge thing, if so what glue should i use and can the glue you suggest be used to stick things to it to make it darker for her. Finally does it need to have the bottom of the container on as it is in warm end and where her heat mat is also postioned for night?
Leanne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Leanne,
Check out post 8 from this link http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-4591.html.
This is how my girlfriend Kelly has her Star set-up. Yes you can do the humid hide with the sponge attached to the top. Just make sure it's at the warm end. Super glue is just fine to attach the sponge. People have also used a couple of bolts with large washers, so it's easier to remove and clean or change the sponge. Yes you leave the bottom on the pot to make it like a cave.

Danny

S

stells

Set up has changed a little now i have coconut bark over the topsoil. The cork bark doubles up as a humid hide, and i give the humid area a spray down each morning and have no problems with dust :D i will get a new pic in abit.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks guys - Danny, George keeps knocking the container like she is trying to get round it should i weigh it down with something or buy something similar to Kelly's? worried she will get stuck or trip over when i am not here.

Kelly - looking forward to seeing your pics !

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Either way would be fine Leanne :)

Danny

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
My girlfiend????????? Hummm... food for thought.

egyptiandan said:
Hi Leanne,
Check out post 8 from this link http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-4591.html.
This is how my girlfriend Kelly has her Star set-up. Yes you can do the humid hide with the sponge attached to the top. Just make sure it's at the warm end. Super glue is just fine to attach the sponge. People have also used a couple of bolts with large washers, so it's easier to remove and clean or change the sponge. Yes you leave the bottom on the pot to make it like a cave.

Danny

I'm sorry... I'm not Danny... I would suggest not changing a thing. If you have good warm temperatures... watch how your Stars turn out.

With your setup you don't need a humid hide... just a hid box if anything at all.

You're setup is a little humid to begin with... that's not a bad thing because it is not wet... I suggest not changing a thing.

George said:
Hello Danny - i was wondering if you could help?

George is my indian star (i believe you've seen her pics) she is currently in a terrarium and currently lives on rainforest/coconut bark, she seems to like it as she can bury her self into it (i actually shieved it, as worried about dust re: sticky eyes, and it produced just under a quater carrier bag a dust, I also regularly with damp kitchen towel wipe away any dust that forms on the bottom) it was sent with her by her breeder but should i at least change half her enclosure to something else?
Also i made last night a humid hide, she spent over a hour wandering around and trying to push it out from the corner but never went in, however this morning she braved it and went to sleep in it straight away. I have put damp kitchen towel on the bottom and then covered with some chips but should i do the sponge thing, if so what glue should i use and can the glue you suggest be used to stick things to it to make it darker for her. Finally does it need to have the bottom of the container on as it is in warm end and where her heat mat is also postioned for night?
Leanne

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I got a serious chuckle out of this...

stells said:
i'm a girl and i'm a friend and i'm called Kelly :D

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Ed - i have already taken the container out found george would come out and when held was cold to touch. She has a cork hide now which she likes to bury next too rather than actually in. She is a bit off her food at the moment but that could be because i have changed her environment, will keep an eye on this, otherwise eyes looking much better.
Change is not always as good as a rest!!
Leanne

Status
Not open for further replies.