QUESTION FOR STAR OWNER WHO RAISED JUV STARS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
Mines nine months and i was wondering if theres an age where they become more active,is there a period where my star will star being more active? An i kno that all stars have diff personalitys jus thought maybe there was some kinda timeline for a more active period......My tortoise isnt lethargic,once i wake and soak him he runs around eats food makes a few laps and go rite back into his caveand for the most part its been like this twice a day id wake him up for feeding although i cut down to feeding once a day and still woke him up for two soaks,every now an then he will come out on his own an nibble on food items left in tank.

turtletania

5 Year Member
i have 3 stars..... my juvi is only about 6months old and does nothing different to yours. i also have 1 and 2 year olds. Starfire.... my 2year old... wonders occasionally and then sleeps, but doesnt always go back into the caves. My 1 year old is in the middle...sometimes walks around, sometimes not... but basically they are very "lazy" torts.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
ok so i nothing to worry about? whew,im perfectly ok with thenm being lazy,im lazy too,i love em he never tries to escape like my old box turtles,im having such fun raising him,even if hes laid back,itll make it easier for me to have two or three like you do and you odviously keep yours inside,me too,are you from cali?

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think many indian stars are pretty "boring"....sri lankan stars usually have more spunk in them

On the other hand Burmese Star tortoises aren't shy at all. The babies I was raising up were very personable...like my baby russian tortoises

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I'm on board with gummybearPOOP. My burmese stars are really outgoing and my sri lankans not so much. I have never kept indian stars but I hear their much like sri lankans

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Ditto the last two responses. I have both sri lankans and regular indian stars. They're not active like a sulcata, but still have some personality. The male I have raised since hatchling has behaved the same way for the last 5 years. He's always been very shy and will only come up to me if I have food.

samstar

5 Year Member
My Indian Stars are very shy, always looking for cover

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
Im cool with that tho,im more laid back like that too,plus to me his looks make up for it.As long as hes not acting this way becuz hes unhealthy im good.Try keeping wild caught box turtles they stay up all nite and all they wanna do is escape,i loved em but this is more my style i jus need to get him eatn grass.Ya know i honestly beleive its hard for him to penetrate the grass,ive seen him take bites out of the softest grass i could find-wheat grass and some others but he jus makes a nibble and almost kinda gives up,but he likes to hide in any clump of grass,that makes his day.

George

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have two stars, one that is two and half and the other will be two in a weeks time - they have always loved their sleep, some days they are up early ready to eat, somedays waiting for the food to come and there are other days when they won't get up until 10/11am (lights go on at 8.00am) I notice this more in the winter months especially this year as London has experienced its fair share of snow. However I feel they are more active now than when they were younger, i just provide lots of foliage so they feel safe enough to move around.

xiaobochu

10 Year Member!
SUNNY CALIFORNIA
SILVERSTAR said:
Mines nine months and i was wondering if theres an age where they become more active,is there a period where my star will star being more active? An i kno that all stars have diff personalitys jus thought maybe there was some kinda timeline for a more active period......My tortoise isnt lethargic,once i wake and soak him he runs around eats food makes a few laps and go rite back into his caveand for the most part its been like this twice a day id wake him up for feeding although i cut down to feeding once a day and still woke him up for two soaks,every now an then he will come out on his own an nibble on food items left in tank.

No worries, My indian star are lazy too, but they are kind of active in the early morning from 7 to 8 and late night from 8-9. Besides, my Sri lankan is more active compared to IS becaue they are bigger and stronger.

Attachments

• __22823___27597_881.jpg
    __22823___27597_881.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 114

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
definitly XIA that one hecka pretty sri lanka,almost wish id have put a couple hundred more for up and got a sri lankan variety.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
My star is very lazy too! Usually sleeps during the day which frustrates me sometimes because she never comes out of her "cave" so I have to always get her out there when she needs to bask in the sun. She does switch hides. But she's active at night around 7-9 pm, that's the time she eats. She won't eat during the day, she'll just sleep. What I did observe and i think its cute is that, my tort sleeps on another side of her enclosure during the night, but when sun is up she goes to another hide...always these 2 hides one for evening one for day! :)

samstar

5 Year Member
SILVERSTAR said:

You wake him up for two soaks? Are you kidding me?

Status
Not open for further replies.