Question for the Cactus Farmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Hello everyone. I have a quick question for those who grow cactus outdoors. Specifically those who live in cooler areas.

I live in Charlotte, NC. This summer I planted a bunch of cactus outside. Several different types of Opuntia. Some I'm certain will survive as it I got it from friends who live North of me.

A few others I'm not so sure. They have a ton of new growth. It hasn't gotten very cold here yet - mid - high 30's a few nights, which was unseasonably cold here. Some of the new growth, especially the very small pads have curled over and look like they are dying.

My question is whether or not it would be helpful to cover the cactus with leaves over the winter. There are plenty of leaves down right now. I'd be happy to cover up the cactus if it may help.

Thanks in advance...

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
no idea, but i live in fl and our pads sometimes curl, but continue to grow. As long as the new growth is the bright (lime-green) color, i have always assumed they were doing ok.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Cactus can curl...but unless it changes color...i.e. green to yellow to brown and eventually black...it's not dead! Watch for it to spring back to life when Spring arrives.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question. But I do know that different species of opuntia do better in some climates and not so good in others. I have started three different ones, two are growing, and one pot will just not grow yet. They are all in the same location and get plenty of sun.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I'm not sure what type you have, but some of what I have will shrivel up and lay close to the ground as it goes dormant for the winter,and some will stay standing, but will loose moisture to protect itself from freezing which makes it look like it is dying, we sometimes get single digit temps here. I am a little farther north of you. Len

Status
Not open for further replies.