Question on age of maturity

Danielle4440

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Hi all,

Hoping for a little clarification. I have five Redfoots who are a little under 4 years old. They were supposed to all be girls but you know how that goes. Anyway, just wanted to make sure I understand a couple of things. First off they are already starting to look as though they are trying to mate, which I assume is normal. I have been told females do not start laying eggs until they are at least 8 years old so no worries about that until then which means I should also not have to worry about a nesting box inside for the winter months until then either. (Do not babies but know they must have a decent place to lay eggs.)

Is this all true? Just caught me a little off guard when I have already found them getting frisky.

Thanks so much!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Mounting is often a sign of aggression. There may be more going on then you think. I don't know red foots though, so the others can give you better info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maturity is a function of size, not age. Under ideal conditions with the right diet, RFs can breed much sooner than 8 years.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
As Tom mentioned and it sort of goes in “hand in foot”…Size is more important than age, but size will depend on where the tortoise originated, environmental factors and genetics.... So you have to keep that in mind. Sexual activity can begin a year or two before the tortoises are capable of reproduction. They will go through the motions, but no eggs will be produced or eggs produced will not be fertilized. Both tortoises need to be of sexual maturity.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
in my best Yoda voice so size is important