Question on Beak Trimming

SWFLTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Bonita Springs, FL
Hi again,

I'd like to see what you all think about Lumpy's beak, and if you think it needs trimming.

I am attaching a few photos. It does not seem that these "fangs" affect his bite, and certainly doesn't slow down his eating, but really would like some other opinions.

Yvonne, I know you have a lot of experience with trimming, so hoping you will chime in here.

I'd be a bit nervous trimming, and if I must I would use a dremel tool with a sanding attachment. Definitely would not using any clippers.

Thank you!20190420_103723.jpeg20190420_103701.jpeg20190418_175434_007_saved.jpeg20190420_104639.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most sulcatas have that "vampire" look to their top beaks. I've assumed it's for helping them bite off the hard, thick stems of plants in nature. There is no need to trim that beak. It looks perfectly normal (just don't allow him to bite you!!!)

SWFLTortoise

Bonita Springs, FL
Most sulcatas have that "vampire" look to their top beaks. I've assumed it's for helping them bite off the hard, thick stems of plants in nature. There is no need to trim that beak. It looks perfectly normal (just don't allow him to bite you!!!)
Awesome! Thank you so much!