Question on Leopard tortoise enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb1234

5 Year Member
hi,

i have question about the my Leopard tortoise enclosure?

i have 2 leopard tortoise each about 4 inch big.

The size of enclosure is about 34 inch long, 17 inch wide and 14 inch in lenght

One of the leopard tortoise keep climbing the wall of enclosure.it's like want to get out of the enclosure

what i am doing wrong here ?. Need advice form all of you

attachment.php

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
Maybe you need a bigger enclosure or maybe your baby just loves to climb. I have one that's 3 inches and his enclosure is 3x7 feet with 6 inch high walls. Mine just walk the perimeter alot but when I put mine in a small tub to soak he's all about trying to climb out. Maybe with more walking space, your tort wont do that anymore.

caleb1234

5 Year Member
Maybe i create more space for her

Do you put real plant on the Enclosure ? Or fake plant ?

My tortoise keep eating the plant rather then her food . Would thid effect her dieat ?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
That enclosure is too small for torts that size, especially two of them. You need to make it bigger or get them outside in a larger pen during the daytime.

Torts get hungry and they will eat whatever is in their pen, so your plants are nothing more than a meal for them. Mine are outisde and they ate most of my plants even though I feed them a huge pil of food daily. Plants in the enclosure are good, but make sure they are not on the poisonous list.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I can't see you picture for some reason but I personally love to put real plants into the enclosure. It provides food and gives them a hiding place. I would also create an outdoor enclosure for them too. With it being outside you have more options on plants and grass to plant for them to graze on.

caleb1234

5 Year Member
RE: Question on Leopard tortoise enclosure?
That enclosure is too small for torts that size, especially two of them. You need to make it bigger or get them outside in a larger pen during the daytime.

Torts get hungry and they will eat whatever is in their pen, so your plants are nothing more than a meal for them. Mine are outisde and they ate most of my plants even though I feed them a huge pil of food daily. Plants in the enclosure are good, but make sure they are not on the poisonous list.

Would You be so kind to tell me how big of encolusre should i be giving to them ?
How do i measure the size of enclosure for one tortoise ?

Here image again

View attachment 29194

Last edited by a moderator:

caleb1234

5 Year Member
Hi all ,

I got more question to ask . About leopard tortoise,

1.why something during feeding the leopard tortoise, while she was eathing half way she open her mouth widely and the head go up and down , and then she continue eathing ?

2. The second tortoise i told u guys about, she seems like not eathing the food that i am offering to her. But she will eat the grass which is in the bottom of the enclosure ?. It she a picky eater ?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Caleb,
You might try taping some dark paper to the outside of the enclosure so the tortoises can't see out. If they can see out they will want to escape. Also, like was said above, make sure you are feeding healthy grasses, leaves and weeds with no fertilizers or pesticides on them. They like fresh food. What are you feeding them now?

caleb1234

5 Year Member
Hi,

I am feeding them carrot and vegetable sometime cucumber.
Should not be a problem right. I am not sure why the second tortoise is not eathing the food which i provided her .
Also some pumkin once a weak to deworm .

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
caleb1234 said:
Hi,

I am feeding them carrot and vegetable sometime cucumber.
Should not be a problem right. I am not sure why the second tortoise is not eathing the food which i provided her .
Also some pumkin once a weak to deworm .

You should feed them a lot of healthy greens like dandelion, grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, prickly pear cactus, mulberry leaves, spring mix from the grocery store, kale. Carrots and other vegetables like cucumber should only be feed once in awhile...they should not be the main diet. It is very good for them to eat grasses and weeds all the time as long as they are not treated with pesticides or fertilizers.

Also, you can get some good ideas for a new enclosure if you search this forum. There are tons of good ideas that have already been posted here.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
May I know what is the blue box with coir inside for? do you use it to increase humidity?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
How can your torts enter the hide box if it is full of coir? Do you put some wire frame in between?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Caleb, Your leopards need a bigger enclosure. Just buy or make them something as big as you can fit. A large outdoor enclosure will be very beneficial too. Outside they can get sun, exercise and lots of natural grazing.

Joy made some great diet suggestions too. I'd follow her advice.

caleb1234

5 Year Member
Hi tom

I am building A bigger enclosure on this month. just nees to gather all the material 1st

Wondering how you all measure the space needed by as single tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.