Question on when to move hatchling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farber2028

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Flash is in a "nursery" right now. He's on damp paper towels, there's moist sphagnum moss, his egg and some lettuce. Today he has been working on escaping. I caught him doing this not too long ago:

IMG_20130721_121645_164.jpg

So my question is, his egg sac is extremely close to being all absorbed, he's been drinking water like a champ every time he takes a bath, every time he in the bath he is super active, moving around and trying to climb the walls. When is it ok to put him into his own home and out of the incubator? Does the egg sac have to be completely gone? One other thing I know is not a big deal yet but he's yet to show an interest in food. Although I'm not 100% sure, but he seems to have eaten a little of the egg. He is super alert and I just feel like he's ready to go. He's hatched out Friday morning, so we're now just over 50 hours being hatched. From what I've been observing I feel as if I could put him in his actual home with no problems. Everything I've heard and read so far is that people typically keep them in some sort of "brooder" setup longer. The only real thing I'm hesitant about is he hasn't ate real food yet. When I give him a bath in a little bit, I will take a picture of his underbelly so you can see how much of the egg sac is left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Nick:

Once my babies yolk has totally absorbed I move them to their own habitat. But while I'm waiting for the yolk to absorb, I keep them like your picture (without the moss).

Status
Not open for further replies.