Question re: babies....Yes, box turtle babies!

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Are they like puppies? Will they eat for as long as there is food to eat? Matilda hasn't displayed this particular behavior before, nor have I seen it before in any of the guys I've had.

I put earthworms in.......holy God, she sprinted once they were in sight....and she had already eaten today! She woke with me around 2, then she had some grapes, a little red lettuce then chewed on her radish.

I mean, you guys have seen her, where did she put 3 worms in addition to the rest? There weren't 11" Night-crawlers but they were "fishable size".

LOL

Yeah, she's that cool!

jeff

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I freakin love box turtles. I have about a bunch. They eat like Sulcata, mine dive to the bottom of their pond/pool and eat rotten grass. Amazing to me. All of them swim and bask on the fence board. Here's a female Eastern swimming to the board and the water is knee high to me
100_4261.JPG
lunch

100_4263.JPG
deformed MBD box turtles100_4233.JPG

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Are they like puppies? Will they eat for as long as there is food to eat? Matilda hasn't displayed this particular behavior before, nor have I seen it before in any of the guys I've had.

I put earthworms in.......holy God, she sprinted once they were in sight....and she had already eaten today! She woke with me around 2, then she had some grapes, a little red lettuce then chewed on her radish.

I mean, you guys have seen her, where did she put 3 worms in addition to the rest? There weren't 11" Night-crawlers but they were "fishable size".

LOL

Yeah, she's that cool!

jeff

My boxie has always stopped when she's no longer hungry. There have been times she has surprised me with how much she can put away at a time, though. If she eats a lot at one sitting, she may not be hungry for a few days after.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Thanks guys, I really didn't know how babies act. It was wild....she raced over to grab the worm in the middle, it winds around her head and it reminds me of a cheap B monster movie of the 50's......like Godzilla fighting the huge snake.....LOL

Great video though,

jeff

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Even with red wigglers on the menu, I would break or cut the worm into at least a couple pieces. I only fed my boxie one worm at a time unless I was pretty sure she was hungry enough to eat all them. I try not to sacrifice any more feeders than necessary.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thanks guys, I really didn't know how babies act. It was wild....she raced over to grab the worm in the middle, it winds around her head and it reminds me of a cheap B monster movie of the 50's......like Godzilla fighting the huge snake.....LOL

Great video though,

jeff
I love that! I also get the Godzilla especially since I love the 'B' movies...The Blob, Them! (giant ants) oh yeah

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Even with red wigglers on the menu, I would break or cut the worm into at least a couple pieces. I only fed my boxie one worm at a time unless I was pretty sure she was hungry enough to eat all them. I try not to sacrifice any more feeders than necessary.
I have one small water turtle, when I feed live stuff it's generally nightcrawlers, 3 of them a feeding. My adult box turtles eat 4 each