Question re hatchling and Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
My neighbor teaches 7th grade and just got 3 baby box turtles for her classroom. She's done a lot of research and I also referred her to this forum. She is feeding them mostly vegetables and fruit but also some meal worms and shrimp. So I've told her they're mostly carnivorous at that age, but obviously other sources tell her otherwise. Can hatchling/baby box turtles eat Mazuri? I have a 2 lb tub of it and could easily give her a few handfuls since my Elsa just gets 3 Mazuri "kibbles" twice a week to supplement her greens and other stuff.
Thanks!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I offer it to all of my boxies, old & young. I say about 30% of my babies will eat it but the percentage gets higher as they age. Probably 70% of my adults love it but some never touch it

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
None of mine are interested in any type of vegetation until they're about two. I believe they need a protein only, or protein heavy diet at a young age. A couple of my adults eat mazuri (tortoise). For the classroom, they'd do better on soaked reptomin.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've told her at least 2-3 times they are primarily carnivorous at that age, but she still gives them a mixed diet. I can only do what I can do. I'll tell her about the Reptomin. Thanks!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I agree about the reptomin. Put it in a little, almost flat, dish and add a bit of water and leave it in there. Every now and then I will take a peek and most of it's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.