Question regarding Desert Tort and Palm Trees

the_newzie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
las vegas
This is kind of a better safe than sorry question: Right now I have three palm trees that are bordering the outside of the walls for my tort's summer habitat. While he's inside for the winter, I wanted to expand and improve his summer area a little and my initial plans include moving the walls out so that the palms would now be located on the inside the enclosure (doesn't have to happen, but it will help maximize square footage if it can). So my question is simply: Desert torts and palm trees are compatible right? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I didn't want to start work on the improvements only to later find out that palm trees are the scourge of the desert tortoise's existence or anything wonky like that. Thanks for any info you have!

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Hi once again, the_newzie!

I've just researched this for a few minutes, and I honestly haven't found a shred of information on the topic.

The only comment that I can make that is a relatively close to a "concern" is to point out the constant peeling of palm trees. They often peel off their bark and stringy fibers. I highly doubt that they are dangerous to your tortoise (they'd probably just fall in the enclosure and act as an added bonus to the substrate) but I'm not sure if they're dangerous for your tortoise if consumed.

Even so, I very, very highly doubt that your tortoise would even pay attention to the palm tree. If anything, it would just act as a natural, realistic barrier in its habitat. I think it would be a very interesting item to include in your habitat, as long as you don't experience any hurricanes or natural disasters that can knock over the tree and harm your little guy.

Go for it! I'm sure your tortoise would appreciate the foliage. :)

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Here are a few pictures for you to look at. As you can see, most desert tortoises dwell in habitats filled with rocky floors and shrubs. There aren't too many trees, but they are present in some cases.

Desert Tortoise Habitat 2.jpg Desert Tortoise Habitat 3.jpg Desert Tortoise Habitat.jpg

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Thanks for the input! Yeah the waste from the tree already naturally falls into his habitat (causes me the problem of having to clean it, but hasn't done anything adverse to Steve that I know of) and luckily for both me and Steve we don't have any real natural disasters here in the desert (Vegas).