Question. (stays in hide. UVB?)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They likely are getting enough. It can even bounce off things, similar to us getting sunburned on a partly cloudy day, when we think we are safe from sunburn. Then that night or next day, we realize we weren't. In the wild they hatchlings will hide a lot so they aren't eaten, yet they still get enough. As long has he comes out to eat or wonder even a little he's likely getting enough. Doesn't really have to be every day as in the wild they will have a day here and there that the sun just isn't out. As long as you have a proper uvb bulb that is still giving off uvb, usually 6 months for some bulbs, Arcadia bulbs uvb seem to be lasting longer, a year or plus. Without a uvb meter though it's hard too know.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You have to attach it to the inside of the hide. Or buy a travel uvb light that attaches to their shells and shines on them until it's turned off.

I prefer the travel one as shown in the picture below.
View attachment 258152
LOL!

Jodimsteinberg5

Knoxville
Ive already posted pictures of my enclosure and fixed all the issues members addressed. Ludo does walk around often during the day . He eats more than I ever thought possible! He just doesn’t lay out and bask like my red eared sliders do. When’s he’s done eating or exploring he stays in his warm hide

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They actually need relatively little UVB.

In the wild, they spend a fair amount of time burrowing. Actually, they do this in captivity too - a large Sulcata can dig a very big hole.

Having the light on 12-14 hours a day is enough. Your tort will get what it needs as it goes about its business.

@Tom doesn’t resort to using a UVB lamp above his soak bowls and he raises healthy Sulcatas.

Kadels

5 Year Member
At what distance is it mounted from the tortoise? Do you have a UV meter?
Following because I need to get the newly recommended bulbs and am not sure on the details.

Kadels

5 Year Member
Is this the "bad" kind of bulb?

Attachments

• bulb.JPG
    bulb.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 27

drew54

Indiana
Mercury vapor bulbs (mvb) are known to produce intense heat in one spot, like a spot bulb, and dessicate the shell causing pyramiding. People still use these bulbs, but I believe Tom doesn't recommend using them for the above reasons. If you search the forum for for them you will fund many threads where Tom has explained the correlation between mvb and pyramiding.

Kadels

5 Year Member
Mercury vapor bulbs (mvb) are known to produce intense heat in one spot, like a spot bulb, and dessicate the shell causing pyramiding.

THANK YOU! Does this also mean that the ceramic heat lamps are also bad?