Question switching from sulcata to red footed

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
Hey everybody after doing a bunch of research I found that a sulcata wo

Would be to big so I was just wondering is there any red footed tortoise breeders on hirer or ones near Massachusetts they seem a lot better suited for me thanks!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
If I ever bought a Redfoot I'd only buy from Jeff, N2TORTS. Not because there aren't other good breeders out there but because I'm partial to him ;)
Check out his stuff at tortoisecove.com

Good luck!

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Jeff seems really great and Vicki Hale shipped to me from down southern to Michigan, I love my RF from her! I like that she has pictures of all her torts online and I got to look through and choose which one I wanted

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
On average what would be the price for a RF also what would be the best age. Is there a big care difference between a hatchling and an adult :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Poke around the tortoise vendor reviews.

There are loads of breeders but I'm not sure of anyone in MA.

All of mine are from allegraf here on the forum; she's a joy to do business with and produces some of the finest eastern redfoots (cherry heads) that I have ever seen. Jeff (N2TORTS) is excellent, Tortoisesupply.com, Jrcrist, Vicki Hale, EricIvins to name a few other extraordinary breeders (and no doubt I have missed many!). Don't buy from a pet store, stick to breeders here.

Price is subjective to the animals. $125 (shipping included) is about the cheapest I have seen but it can go up to $200-$1000 depending on the age and uniqueness of the animal(s). We have a for sale section here, check it out! I believe Jrcrist has some up now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Team Gomberg said:
If I ever bought a Redfoot I'd only buy from Jeff, N2TORTS. Not because there aren't other good breeders out there but because I'm partial to him ;)

Good luck!

This is a great big DITTO from me. The best in my book:)

Oh and yes, much more care in hatchlings and yearlings then adults. However, hatchlings and yearlings will be cheaper then adults, but more expensive in supplies then adults.

A great starter tortoise would be a Russian, hermanns, Greek. They are easier care and little less attention needed to higher humidity and temps. The Russians have great personality, some say similar to the sulcata but in a much smaller, more manageable size.

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
I was thinking about getting a hatchling or a youngling. I would like any tips on humidity and temperature any tips in General would be greatly appreciated . Also the website redfoottortoise.com is that a good website for care instructions if not what's another good website?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Check out tortiose library. Com one of the forum members care sheets .

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
whats the best age to buy a tort, an age that you can help it grow up but at the same time that it would imprint on you and that it is stable enough?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
One thats a year or so old . That way he is eating and pooping . All the starter foods he is already munching down . But hatchlings are not to bad you just have to have everything thing right . If you go with a red foot you need to get the enclosure setup is number one . Check temperatures for a week or so if everything is fine start looking for your tortoise. If I was to get a new baby red foot I would only go one place and that place is tortoise cove . If you pm Mr Jeff he will tell you all you need to know . If you ask he may even give you his number so your fingers do get cramps from all the typing . He knows his stuff and he breeds some beautiful tortoises to back it up .

J_W

Colorado
Re: RE: Question switching from sulcata to red footed

Team Gomberg said:

Good luck!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just checked out N2TORTS site and wow. He has some beautiful pictures and even better looking torts.

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
If I get a rubber maid container forms youngling . What's the best way to get it to. 80% ? Regular misting and heat?

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Misting/ Heating or easier yet buy a humidifier. Makes life a million times easier!

Did you know if you were looking for a Cherry Head or a Northern Redfoot? I have both and would highly recommend N2TORTS if you want a cherry or TortoiseSupply.com if you want a Northern. I got my T Rex from TortoiseSupply and my hypos/cherry from N2TORTS.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Closed chambers are the best way to retain heat and humidity. The links in my signature at the bottom show what I've run in the past and am currently using.

As I pointed out in my original post, there are a lot of good breeders out there. It depends on what you are looking for and what they have. Limiting yourself to only one will decrease your options, that's why I listed out a bunch for you previously and I know I missed some at that.

Tortoises don't imprint like birds, but they will recognize you as the "food-giver" and from numerous sources (Mike Pingleton, Tortoiselibrary.com, etc.) they can distinguish between faces. Choose the age you're comfortable with. Usually older tortoises will cost more.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
JD, Vicki and Allegra. There are other great breeders out there that ship too

N2TORTS (JD) is a member here.

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
Okay thanks! Is this correct? Dark greens and mazuri every day. Fruit and veggie once a week and protein once a month ?

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
What would be a good checklist for buying red foot tortoise enclosure? Any tips and suggestions are welcome I plan on going shipping tomorrow and I want to know what to get