question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have been considering buying another tortoise for my son. The Sulcata I have is my daughters and he wants one of his own. There is a Russian tortoise on my local Craigslist. I sent an email to the poster asking a few q's about the tort. The person said it was a male, approx 5 years old, 4 1/2" long and in good health. Does this sound right? The reason they stated they were rehoming him was because he is aggresive to their female. They are asking $40. Is that a reasonable price? Are they easy to care for?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I think that is a real good price. Not sure about the size because I don't know how old mine are to compare. Russians are super easy and have a bunch of personality. Each of mine has a uniqueness about them.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Melissa at the petstores here they range from about 80 to 100. I have seen them on occassion on sale for 65-80. So I would say 40 is a really good price.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ive been checking Craigslist for months for a tort to avoid getting one from a petstore. I really want to get this one, just need the cash. LOL never enough money!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Good price, and for a male that is on the smaller side of average. He could be that young, but likely isn't. Males can be fully grown at that size, tho' many get up to 5". He won't get much bigger than that tho.

If he is being "aggressive" to the female, though, then he is likely of breeding age (and this is how they "court" their girls), and so I'd say he's gonna be at least 8 - 10 years and fully grown. However when you're looking at a 100 year lifespan, he's still a baby!

Go for it, he's likely a great tort!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
yea looks like a great tortoise. also russians dont get to big, so that wont be a problem. where do you plan on keeping him?

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well I would have to get/make everything set up for it. I would have to have an indoor enclosure for winter.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Russians are IMO the number one pet tortoise . But please instead of finding a good deal, find a breeder with captive born tortoises. THere are even some forsale on this site.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Please don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a good deal. I honestly can't afford the torts sold here. I was hoping to find a lower priced, healthy tort that needed a good home.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No I am saying there are some captive born Russian tortoises for sale right now. http://tortoiseforum.org/russian-hatchlings A lot of the tortoise told on here are pretty expensive. Im not sure how much they are but I don't think it would be much more.

There are huge benefits to buying a captive born tortoise from a real breeder it may be worth the extra investment even the extra wait to save up the money.

Or even look on petfinder.com. Russians are always up for adoption. Call around , put in applications to places like the turtle recuse of long island and other turtle and torotise rescues. Just do a google search "tortoise rescue" more then one will pop up.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
She's looking at one off of Craig's List! It's like an adoption! I think that's a good way to go, especially since she seems to be interested in caring for him the right way, so all is good!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I agree, no matter where you get your tort, from a breeder, adoption, rescue or Craigs list, it is out of the wild and therefore needs a forever home. WC torts can have more health problems such as worms or parasites than CB. But there are no guarantees. There are lots of torts that need adopting. Russians seem to go fast if you can find them at rescues at least around here (Southern CA) you find lots of Sullys and DT but the more exotic and smaller torts, Greeks, pancakes, Russians, RF, YF are far and few between if at all. I believe each person needs to make the choice where to obtain their tort for themselves. Adoption is always a good and often less expensive way to go. But then sometimes they just are not out there and if one comes available from another source, well ……. My personal feeling is; just do your research before you adopt or buy. That is the number one cause of difficulty with torts (IMO) lack of research. Not just on the tort but on the natural habitat it comes from.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Of cource that russian on craigslist deserves a good home no matter what. Even the thousands imported every year deserve a good home. But Russian torotises are grossly over collected. We need to support breeders of this species and decress the demand for imported animals.

Thats just how a feel so I am always going to advocate buying a captive born turtle or torotise. But I do agree with both you guys (Kelly an Robyn)

By the way did you ever get your russian?

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No I haven't bought him. I have emailed the poster a few times to ask a few questions. She has reposted it up for rehoming just today. I want to get him, but don't have the money right now. If he's still available I might get him later. Not sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.