question

Status
Not open for further replies.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
I was wondering if anybody had actual proof (written) of the spiral uvb light bulbs truly causing blindness ??

I have read and heard that it is a theory and possibility, but that no actual in depth testing has ever been done to prove or disprove it.

I cant find any site or text source that says, yes, having these bulbs will blind your tortoise.

Now, also, from what ive read and heard, its widely excepted that it can, so its best not to (for now anyway), but im just wondering if its a proven fact that it does

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I have in the past located various informational reports on line about the subject and I wish I would have kept them....if you go online and search for... coil uvb bulb reptile eye damage....I believe you will find a few that will give you great info and opinion :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not really sure you will find the proof/fact that you want. The company that makes it is not going to spend money to find the proof. The people with turtles/tortoises with eye problems/blindness don't have the money or resources to prove it. So, play it safe and don't use them.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
There were actual problems with the lamps - at one time. Nowadays I think if there are problems, it is most likely from incorrect usage. Used correctly, I do not think the coil lamps are anymore dangerous than an MVB and light even be safer in some aspects. I would just advise you to follow the directions and keep an eye on your tortoise for problems (something you should do regardless of the type of lamp).

A few years old but you should read this if you haven't already.
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have nothing written, but several first hand cases that I have personally witnessed. Some with tortoises and one with a bearded dragon that was fairly recent and well after the "problem" was supposedly addressed and fixed. I have also seen about a dozen cases here on the forum now. Maggie has also shared her first hand personal experience with them too.

In my opinion they are a risk, and they are NOT a necessity. The possible benefit, does not outweigh the possible risk in my way of thinking. I will never buy one or have one over any of my reptiles. I will provide UV in other, safer ways. I prefer real sunshine, but if that is not possible for too much of the year in someone's area, then MVBs are the next best thing that I have found.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses everybody. Dont get me wrong, Im in now way advocating to use them or anything. I guess, my main point was, what is in/with them particularly that may lead to eye issues?

I have known many many people that have and still use those uvb coil light bulbs and have for years and years with torts, turtles, beardies, geckos, iguanas, etc, and have never had one eye problem. Is that just luck or is there something else, maybe predisposition to eye issues for certain species ??

jacquiroell

5 Year Member
After reading this thread, I returned the coil bulb that I bought a few days ago. Not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.