Question?

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Paul, MN
Do I need to build a humid hide for my hatchling? He's a Hermann's tortoise. Most of the threads i've read about humid hides only mention sulcatas and Leopards. Any suggestion will help. Thanks!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It wouldn't hurt for sure, but my Hermanns dig down in the sphagnum peat moss that I keep fairly moist. One of them digs down to the bottom every single day and is hard to find. The others dig just under the surface.

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
Obi usually digs down into the coconut coir when he goes to bed. Sometimes he goes to bed in the flower pot i've buried half way into the susbstrate. I spray water into the flower pot when he's not in there to moisten the substrate and also spray the whole enclosure daily. I hope that works for now but if it's needed then I definitely would build him one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All tortoises will benefit from some humidity. I don't know what the levels for a Hermanns is, but a humid hide would be beneficial.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
For my Hermann's I keep her indoor enclosure between 55% and about 70% humidity. When she's outdoors during our muggy Louisiana summers, the humidity is regularly higher than that. One of the reasons I got a Hermann's is because they are tolerant of our high humidity. But she REALLY loves to bury herself in the moist substrate when indoors, and burrow herself down underneath the roots of the plants in her outdoor enclosure- where it's also moist.