Status
Not open for further replies.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
image-3624644602.png

image-1114742027.png

Ok so my question.Is this normal it seems like the underside is developing a ridge or something.They are growing well and gaining weight.Just a worried mum I guess

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry...I haven't a clue. Do you keep them on moist substrate?

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Yes and i mist them regularly.The tops of their shell is smooth and growing nicely but when I went to put the outside for some sun I noticed the bottom of their shells were developing a ridge like in the middle.

They don't seem to be uncomfortable by it but I was just curious if it was some sort of devoting problem with their shells.

image-4182195407.png

This is the tops of them very smooth and healthy.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
maybe others with babies can compare for/with you.. i havent seen many babies to know if that is all normal or not. do they get plenty of sun?>

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
What substrate are you using? How damp is it/what is the humitity at ground level? The center line where it is raised up how does it look? kinda pink? irritated red? my torts plastron is completley smooth.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Mixture of moss and top soil-80% humidity-it's white no visible irritation or infection so it may be new growth I just got nervous..Boswers underbelly looks smooth now but peaches is still kind ridged.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Mine has this too, only occasionally if that makes sense. When he's only eating greens and no prepared foods and his growth rate slows he gets that ridge, when I feed mazuri and grassland tortoise food and he hits a growth spurt it smooths out just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.